PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser smooth idle rough when you accelerate quickly.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking PT Cruiser smooth idle rough when you accelerate quickly.

Hey everybody im new to the forum and i had a few questions about my PT. So i recently purchased a 2002 PT cruiser and from the jump it had problems with rough acceleration. The guy i bought it from said it had an EVAP leak and i smoked tested it and found the leak on the hose and put it back on and everything was fine for about 2 months. So what the problem is now is that it seems to idle fine and when you give it smooth throttle through the gears it runs smooth. BUT when you give it gas ohh lets say trying to pull off from a stoplight or pulling up a hill in a high gear it seems to buck around. It also seems to happen more when its wet outside. I recently changed the plugs so those are good but im not sure about much else. I cleaned what i could in the intake when i changed the plugs. I have the standard non-turbo 2.5 liter model. it also came up with a code saying that it had an external waste gate open so idk what that could be cause this car never had a turbo. ANY suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody
Old 21 Jan 2014, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser smooth idle rough when you accelerate quickly.

Welcome to the forum.

You have the standard 2.4 Ltr, not 2.5 Ltr non turbo. When you changed the plugs did you also go for new plug wires? No telling how ling they've been on and they break down just like plugs and at full acceleration they can cause the hesitation and bucking like your talking about. If that doesn't work, you could have a partially blocked coil or fuel injector, but start with the new wires.

Also, the new requirement for the gap in the plugs is .040in so make sure your plugs are gaped that way.

As far as the code for the wastegate, make sure your pulling the fault codes the correct way....

How to retrieve fault codes.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jan 2014 at 07:11 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. But i will do that as soon as i can. and if that doesnt work then ill do the coils and/or the injectors. Just gotta go step by step haha and also would it buck if i had a slipping serp belt? thanks again ohh and also will these fault codes show up on the little display on the dash?
Old 21 Jan 2014, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The plugs and wires, coil and injectors wouldn't if they were just on the verge of going bad and only failing under heavy acceleration. The belt slippage might show up but you should have other symptoms if the belt was about to go and not just rough acceleration. Belt problems most likely show up under idle conditions.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok thanks man. i appreciate the help. ill check out these things