Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OH MY, you may not believe this!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2014, 12:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default OH MY, you may not believe this!

Well, my PT started having some of the same drive train problems that I've read about here on these forums, and getting pretty much what I felt to be dangerous. So, I took her to the Lake Norman Chrysler dealership where I bought her to have them check her out. So, the grind when I turned right was a huge problem with the left-hand half-shaft - it was falling apart! OMG! Scared me, kept thinking I'd be driving down the highway (in my normal idiot mode) and the half-shaft would just flip out and voila! Big wreck would happen.

So, they told me they would order a new half-shaft, then when I took her in to be repaired (took a week to get the parts, and during that week I never moved her!), they called me and said that my brakes and rotors on the front end were abused and about to fail. OMG! So here I am, asking the costs and thinking, gee, I'm unemployed, broke and going to either lose the rest of my savings or end up on the street and homeless, that or just give them my car. Had me teary eyed!

So they came to pick me up when it was done and showed me what was repaired and took me to the cashier.......

drum roll please!

Total bill was $206. Yep, two hundred and six dollars!!! The actual cost was $1760 for the front end fixing and $380 for the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I asked what was going on, they said that Jack, the owner, new I was unemployed and he decided just to charge me a tiny bit. WHAT!!?!!

Now I have bought 6 cars from Jack, and we have a Chrysler Town & Country van and two PT Cruisers from him, and he's always given me a fabulous price on them, but I just couldn't understand it. Well, come to find out, my car has been in many auto shows around the Carolinas and I always have things from Jack - T-shirts, hats, bags, bench seats, etc. - and I've helped his business! I had no idea.

Recently we had one person here on the forums asking me about the TIPM and how to replace it. Well, after many discussions I call Frank, the Director of the Parts Department, and he offered her a huge discount so she could buy it but not have to spend a ton of money! Now I'm finding out that anyone I send gets discounts, on parts, service and/or vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I've heard many bad comments about dealerships, about parts being to expensive, etc., and yet I will never go anywhere else again as long as I have any cars from Lake Norman Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram... fantastic organization!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Smile Re: OH MY, you may not believe this!

Based on my own past working in dealer service departments;It does pay to be friendly,and get to know a dealership,and their employees (owner included!)......In the end it can help you to get free,or low cost service & parts;If your friendly with the parts guys?...They can sell you parts at 'employee' family & friend cost(normally NO mark-up!)
On service(s),if they really want to,they can write-off alot of stuff as new,or used warranty work.(may be what they're doing with your charges?)
People who come in an act like A-holes,screaming,yelling,cussing.....Well,that just makes them want to charge you all the more,and hope it'll get you to never come back!
Moral of the post......Treat them like your best friends,and they will usually reciprocate.
Glad you had some good luck.......Now stop driving your PT like you stole it!lol
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: OH MY, you may not believe this!

Chromenut,
This is awesome news. I recently went to my local dealership (yesterday) and asked about the target magnet. I asked the sales counter person if they had a "target magnet" for an 05 PT GT turbo high output. His answer was "a what?" Luckily he asked what kind of car I had. I repeated, 05 PT GT Turbo High Output. We then walked to the car. He said "oh you mean a pt cruiser." My next response really did slip out my mouth without thinking, naw jackass I meant the PT Charger. He stated, that's a dodge. I was like omfg, seriously.

I then met the sales department manager and he went to the back to "order" one. He came back and said you're in luck. We had a special order one from last year that nobody picked up. That'll be 37.80 tax and all, I said nope I have seen the same part nonlinear for 14 bucks. I paid 18.40 tax and all.

Moral of my story is, some people are just there to collect a check. Some people actually care.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: OH MY, you may not believe this!

Great news Nut!
And, a dealer that sounds like they are worth returning too, like my favorite dealer, 45 miles away!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 22 Jan 2014, 02:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

That's really nice of them. Might have to refer me to them in the future since I'm that that far away from Lake Norman.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 03:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Total bill was $206. Yep, two hundred and six dollars!!! The actual cost was $1760 for the front end fixing and $380 for the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to be a buzz kill here, because $206 is a good price for a premium brake job and a half shaft replace. I just wonder what they did to the front end that they would normally charge $1760 for, PLUS another $380 for the brakes? Even paying full price for factory parts - both axles and labor is only $500-$600. OK, toss in lower control arms and wheel bearings - about $500 more. And while $380 isn't really out of line for factory rotors, pads and calipers plus labor, much of the labor is already paid for in the "stack-up" of the repairs - in other words, they shouldn't charge full labor for the brakes, because they already have to remove the rotors, pads, and calipers from the spindle to change the axles and/or LCA's. So I'm curious as to just what did they replace for what would normally be a $2140 bill.

So, again, while I think it's great that they cut you a break on your bill for being a good customer, you didn't mention them advising you about other needed front end work. I have to wonder how it went from a half shaft, to also needing a complete brake replacement (which, OK, it sounds like they found under further inspection) and extensive front end repairs.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Good deal, Chromenut!

Good deeds come back to bless you!

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSpirit View Post
Total bill was $206. Yep, two hundred and six dollars!!! The actual cost was $1760 for the front end fixing and $380 for the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to be a buzz kill here, because $206 is a good price for a premium brake job and a half shaft replace. I just wonder what they did to the front end that they would normally charge $1760 for, PLUS another $380 for the brakes? Even paying full price for factory parts - both axles and labor is only $500-$600. OK, toss in lower control arms and wheel bearings - about $500 more. And while $380 isn't really out of line for factory rotors, pads and calipers plus labor, much of the labor is already paid for in the "stack-up" of the repairs - in other words, they shouldn't charge full labor for the brakes, because they already have to remove the rotors, pads, and calipers from the spindle to change the axles and/or LCA's. So I'm curious as to just what did they replace for what would normally be a $2140 bill.

So, again, while I think it's great that they cut you a break on your bill for being a good customer, you didn't mention them advising you about other needed front end work. I have to wonder how it went from a half shaft, to also needing a complete brake replacement (which, OK, it sounds like they found under further inspection) and extensive front end repairs.
Ya never know what somethings gonna cost until you get under there.

I went from $67 worth of cost to replace my control arms myself to $450 to have the dealer chop my floors apart to replace a retaining bolt.

I've also went from $12 in swaybar bushings to 3 hours of tapping and dying new holes for the brackets after a bolt broke off, at a dealer that would have cost me nearly $400. Odds are the dealer just put her on the lift and went "uh-oh jim, start the price book".
Old 22 Jan 2014, 07:56 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: OH MY, you may not believe this!

I don't want to hear the word "stealership" again
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

it's good to hear there's still some good ppl in the world.