PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser, Starting problems, no codes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2014, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2006 PT Cruiser, Starting Problem, Video Added

The wife's PT is a headache and a half for me lately, thought I would turn to an experienced crowd for some thoughts.

History:
Her 06' is in pretty good shape for over 100k miles. We recently replaced her battery after it died. It was the original battery and was probably just its time. It has an aftermarket remote start that can sometimes give us problems, but works 90% of the time.

RECENTLY it has been idling roughly and wanting to die while driving it, especially when it is first started. Very choppy as if it were a fuel or air supply issue. We were hoping to keep it alive until tax return time for repairs.

Current issue:
It is/was a combination issue. She was at work on Monday and I needed to get in the car. I used the spare key which triggered the alarm. Great. Had to let the alarm run for 5 minutes or so and then it finally stopped. That is due to the chip from the spare key being in the remote starter.

We haven't needed to drive it since Monday, so it has been sitting outside. We live in Michigan and wind chills have been dropping us to -10 to -15 at night. Skip to this morning and it won't start. Well, dang. I remember the alarm incident and realize I've probably locked it out. Starter sounds like it fires good but won't turn over.

Got the code for bad SKIM (p0513 I think) so I tried to reset the PCM by disconnecting the negative cable for appox 10 minutes. I no longer get the p code, BUT it still will not turn over, it only tries after 3 or 4 seconds of the starter trying to fire. The biggest clue now is a sulfur smell, as there are no codes when I run self diagnosis.

View the YouTube video here:

I turned down the sound on the first part too low, to stop that damn dinging. About 50 seconds in you can hear the problem.

I'm more of a computer guy than a car guy, but I will try any suggestions I can. Thanks in advance for any time and input!

Last edited by RockCityGhost; 22 Jan 2014 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Updated Video With Better Sound
Old 22 Jan 2014, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser, Starting problems, no codes.

The PT was connected to my Jeep at the time. From all the starting I had killed the PT battery.

Sound comes in great once the video switches to the outside view.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hate to throw a lump of coal in your stocking, but have you had the timing belt replaced? There's a chance, at your mileage, that the belt has snapped. We've heard of the breaking at right before and right after 100,000 miles.

The easiest way to tell is to take off the Camshaft Position Sensor (round part on the right side of the engine towards the front) and than look inside when the engine is tying to turn over. If what you looking at isn't turning while the engine is trying to start, then it means the belt has broke. Your looking at what we call the Target Magnet and it's attached to the end of one of the overhead cam shafts. It won't turn if the timing belt broke.

The part I'm talking about is in the picture below called the CMP. You don't have to take off the electrical connection, but the two small bolts that hold the sensor onto the side of the engine.

Larger/closer view

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The lump of coal is already there, so I appreciate the ideas on how to find it!

Have tried a couple more times to get it started with no success. Self diagnosis now reads p0522 (oil pressure?). So I checked her oil, and well... the dipstick didn't get very wet at all. Come to find out she was like 1000 miles overdue, but still I would expect to find SOME oil. She believes they used 5w-30 in it last time she was in.

Should I expect oil to freeze in sub zero wind chills?
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it gets THAT cold, and your worried, I'd switch to semi or full synthetic oil in the future. Goes way above or way below conventional oil. I wouldn't suspect that to be your problem in not starting. it's turning over to fast for you engine to be bogged down with extremely think oil.

The fault code 0522 is for the oil pressure switch. Supposedly it only shows when the oil pressure is low, not when your actually low in oil but i've seen for my own eyes that a bad switch will stop car from starting, when I tried to help a couple of ladies who had stopped for a red light and the PT stalled and wouldn't start again. The only code was the P0522 and the ONLY thing the dealer did (when finally towed) was to change the switch. It's located on the back side of the engine and not easy to get to.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Added a quart of oil, can see it on the dipstick now. Disconnected the battery and the oil switch code is gone. Still won't start. Going to check the camshaft sensor as soon as I can. (Maybe Saturday)