PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grinding noise, shakes the whole car? Windshield wiper fluid? Antifreeze?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2014, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Grinding noise, shakes the whole car? Windshield wiper fluid? Antifreeze?

Hi guys, I am new here and will apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong section or something of the sort.

I'm a college student and know next to nothing about cars, so please take it easy on me. Background info: I bought an 07 PT back in May with about 84k on it. I have general maintenance records from the first few years that the first owner had it, no big repairs. It's clearly been in at least a fender bender, as the front bumper is mostly held on with zip ties... (not as terrible as it sounds, I swear.)

The car has ran great the entire time I've had it, but recently I've been having a few problems. I am a very broke girl and do not have much money to take it somewhere to be fixed. I'm just wondering if anyone could help try to diagnose what could be causing any of these things, and if they are a cheap fix.

1) The car has recently started shaking terribly when I turn it on, and making an awful grinding noise. It also grinds when backing up and sometimes when idling. (Could be due to temperature, but it's not just a little shaking or grinding. AWFUL noise, did not do this when I bought it.) I've been told the shaking could be due to the engine mount but does that explain the grinding? If possible, I could probably get a video of it on here if it would help.

2) The windshield wiper fluid hasn't come out on my front window since I bought it. Kind of a pain in the winter.

3) A little bit ago, I completely lost heat. After checking the coolant, it was pretty much empty. I used almost an entire bottle to get it to fill to the line. The next day, it was almost empty again. Filled it up again, same thing. I know it's been unusually cold out, (I live in Ohio) but I still don't think it's normal to go through that much coolant in a matter of days?

4) I have been told I need a shim kit (???) If this isn't fixed, is it affecting my gas mileage?

Also, just curious, are there supposed to be lights on the gauge furthest to the left? I've seen pictures where there's a "door open" light or something but I've never had a light on that one before.

So sorry for all of the questions, I've been looking into other cars and I just want to know what's going on whether I sell my PT or keep it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much if you took the time to read/respond.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding noise, shakes the whole car? Windshield wiper fluid? Antifreeze?

Welcome to the forum.

Lets take it one point at a time in your order.

1. It does sound like one of the 3 motor mounts has gone bad. This will let the engine shake and depending one which mount went bad, you could have a moving part rubbing against something that would make the grinding noise.

2. Your windshield washer nozzels are probably clogged. Try taking a pin of some sort and putting it into the holes where the water is supposed to come out. If that doesn't work, you might need to replace the nozzels but make sure the pump is working and you have water in the bottle that supplies the washer fluid. It's up by the windshield on the left hand side.

3. The heater for the car is in the dash pretty far up towards the windshield or in other words the highest point of the cooling system. When your low in coolant the heater drains first = no heat. It's not as easy as just adding coolant because air get traps in the coolant system. The system has to be purged of excess air or bad things can happen like overheating. Also, you shouldn't be using that might coolant at all. You have a leak and it must be found.

4. The "shim" kit is either for the front or rear. The front kit which consists of 2 bolts costs $30 but then you add the alignment to go with it and your around $100 to get your wheels to go straight. The rear is a lot cheaper and usually doesn't need the shims to get it right.

5. If you have any kind of light in the guage area, it's telling you somethings wrong. From what you described, either one of the doors isn't closed or the rear hatch is not looking properly.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Jan 2014 at 04:37 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding noise, shakes the whole car? Windshield wiper fluid? Antifreeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Lets take it one point at a time in your order.

1. It does sound like one of the 3 motor mounts has gone bad. This will let the engine shake and depending one which mount went bad, you could have a moving part rubbing against something that would make the grinding noise.

2. Your windshield washer nozzels are probably clogged. Try taking a pin of some sort and putting it into the holes where the water is supposed to come out. If that doesn't work, you might need to replace the nozzels but make sure the pump is working and you have water in the bottle that supplies the washer fluid. It's up by the windshield on the left hand side.

3. The heater for the car is in the dash pretty far up towards the windshield or in other words the highest point of the cooling system. When your low in coolant the heater drains first = no heat. It's not as easy as just adding coolant because air get traps in the coolant system. The system has to be purged of excess air or bad things can happen like overheating. Also, you shouldn't be using that might coolant at all. You have a leak and it must be found.

4. The "shim" kit is either for the front or rear. The front kit which consists of 2 bolts costs $30 but then you add the alignment to go with it and your around $100 to get your wheels to go straight. The rear is a lot cheaper and usually doesn't need the shims to get it right.

5. If you have any kind of light in the guage area, it's telling you somethings wrong. From what you described, either one of the doors isn't closed or the rear hatch is not looking properly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for responding! I'll definitely go try to unclog the windshield sprayer things in a little bit. I think I worded my question about the gauges wrong. That picture shows a door light or something on the far left one, but I've never had a light come on over there and I've definitely had my door open and the car on before. I'm assuming it's just a fuse? Nothing I'm majorly concerned with but after seeing pictures like that one, I was curious.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The picture you posted is too small from me to see but I went to my car (2001) and also looked in the owners manual and I have no picture of the car anywhere in my lights so it must be something in the newer generation pt cruisers (06-10). Maybe someone will come along and tell you what it is.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get all your issues straightened out If you decide to take on some of the tasks yourself there are a bunch of sticky's explaining how to flush and purge the coolant system to get it working correctly.