Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt miss fire #1 cylinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Red face Pt miss fire #1 cylinder?

ok I"ve had the p440 401 NVLD fault for awhile and now its gone? throwin no codes now in the dash..code readers sayin #1 cyl miss fire..I put new wires and plugs gapped to .40..new coil last year..new crank sensor last year..new ox sensors both..

When I changed the plugs I noticed some oil around the seals were the intake seperates?? blow by?

starts good accelerates good but still shuttering at idle? seems to get worse at is warms up..and now and then comes and gos..

any thoughts? I havent done a compression check yet I gueess thats next?

cam sensor? idle control sensor?..I cant hear or find any vaccume leeks?

any other sensor that may cause this? and not be throwin a code?..

oh the plugs all looked the same..greyish white no oil on any ..

love this PT anyway and I an"t givin up..thanks

Last edited by drumrooster; 22 Jan 2014 at 08:18 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt miss fire #1 cylinder?

From what you mentioned, all would show the misfire in all cylinders, not just one. Could have a bad (partially clogged) injector or some of that oil your seeing from the seal(?)s could cause that from the valve cover or the intake seals (red oblong rubber gaskets) between upper and lower manifold. The compression test would rule out internal problems.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 06:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok thanks I "ve had the intake off a dozen times..the red rings look ok but maybe I should change them...and I just put a new valve cover gasket on it a few weeke ago..and a PCV valve..I"ll pull it again this weekend ..and yes I ahd thought about an injector issue too..I may replace that one and see what happens too..thanks
Old 22 Jan 2014, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Throw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in first...
You try spraying starting fluid around the intake gasket seams and see if idle smooths out? If it does, you need intake gasket.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:12 am
Cool Cruiser

yes tryed the startin fluid around there and no change..and I put a bottle of techtron cleaner in it also..I guess i"ll change the #1 injector or all of them next cause its got 140k on it now,,already done the timing belt ,water pump, stuff this past summer..

I"ll change it this weekend and post the results
Old 23 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You could swap injectors and see if the code switches to that cylinder (for example, put the #1 injector in the #4 cylinder)

I don't recall many reports of bad injectors here. There's a tiny screen in the tip, but this would starve at high speed, not idle.

You could do the compression check if you've ruled out common items. Far more reports of burnt exhaust valves than bad injectors.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

thats a good idea..I pray its not valve related ...I"ll see what I can find this weekend thanks for the ideas guys..
Old 24 Jan 2014, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, please keep us posted.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

well guy s I haven"t had time yet to check anything else on the PT yet..but I thought about something??

when I put new wires and plugs in this time the post on the coil if yr facing the front of the motor it would be the right front post of the coil..when i put the new wire on that post I may have pushed a little to hard? cause it kinda poped a bit and the wire went down on the post more on that post than the others? would this maybe cause my misfire? and I dont remember the firing order on it?? is that #1 cyl?

1 2

3 4xthis one from the front of the car?
Old 25 Jan 2014, 11:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrooster View Post
well guy s I haven"t had time yet to check anything else on the PT yet..but I thought about something??

when I put new wires and plugs in this time the post on the coil if yr facing the front of the motor it would be the right front post of the coil..when i put the new wire on that post I may have pushed a little to hard? cause it kinda poped a bit and the wire went down on the post more on that post than the others? would this maybe cause my misfire? and I dont remember the firing order on it?? is that #1 cyl?

1 2

3 4xthis one from the front of the car?
I doubt that's your problem. Seating plug wires takes a very hard push, and you should hear/feel a pop as they seat - both on the plug and on the coil end.