Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 pt cruiser wont fire at all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2001 pt cruiser wont fire at all

im no super mechanic but my buddy is..this is what has been replaced with brand new parts,,camshaft sesor,crankshaft sensor,timing belt,egr sensor
pcm has been flashed..new plugs and had them laid out in front of me and watched each one spark,,same with the fuel rail ,,took it off and with everything still connected watched each injector spray at least 4 times
,new battery..ive checked compression and all around 150 lbs and timing belt is new+++

went thru the book and have checked everything that the Haynes book said could keep it from starting ..still nothing

right be fore it died I heard what sounded like a gas knock or when you get bad gas..kind of a rattle.and that only happened when I step on gas or went up a hill..and would run better if I took off a major air line off and then it would run much better..not perfect but it didn't die

so if anyone can point me in a direction that I haven't gone done ..please drop me a line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (85.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (87.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 23 Jan 2014, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 pt cruiser wont fire at all

So when you say it won't fire, you mean the engine will turn but there are no signs of ignition at all? It doesn't hit some and misfire?

Also, when you say you had the ECM "flashed", what did you have done and why did you do that? In your list of things, you didn't mention the cam sensor magnet. Are you sure that was installed on the end of the new camshaft? And are there any trouble codes?

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Jan 2014 at 04:56 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well the pcm went out in September and had it flashed and put it in and started right up..the night I came home and it was overheating out of 1 of those cheap hose clamps that they put on cruisers...never replaced cam..just the sensor..not the magnet...when it was flashed I gave vin number and milage..and then called to make sure they got the vin and milage right

the next morning it didn't start easy,,first time ever..so I put the pedal to the floor and finally started..like I said before I took of vacuum hose and ran better..

so I read if the pcm gets wet and that hose was right in front of it ..thought it might have gotten wet,,not to mention I tried everything else

heck no sputter or nothing..i can probably make a video of it cranking away

tried starting fluid..not even a pop...called a dealership back home and they have no clue and they know my buddy who is a ace mechanic..

its getting spark..its getting gas..and compression..still nothing..im thinking security issue......im out of ideas...all I can say is that it was starving for gas

any ideas?

Last edited by prescottazbill; 23 Jan 2014 at 05:05 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

sorry I meant starving for air
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Did your car start after you installed the timing belt?
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

nope..hasn't run since it died
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:54 pm
Young Cruiser

The reason I ask about the timing belt, on my 2001, the cam belt sprockets have timing marks on both sides, 180 deg apart, and you may have misaligned the sprockets by 180 deg. Being a non-interference engine, it will crank over but won't fire. I'm guilty of doing just that
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

nope because on the sprockets ,,each one has the word up with arrows pointing up..nice try tho
Old 24 Jan 2014, 03:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Did it die on the road, or did you do a bunch of work and then it wouldn't start?

FWIW, over Thanksgiving holiday my '01 died on the road and would not restart reliably. If it did, it ran on 2-3 cylinders. Everything checked out but after HOURS of diagnosis I finally replaced the ignition coil and voila, back to normal. Seems like the coil had enough juice to fire the spark plugs in open air, but couldn't do it under compression. Cyl #4 (IIRC) was the most affected. I can't explain how a wasted spark configuration could fire one plug but not two, but that's exactly what happened. Must have been an odd internal failure.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

my friend I think u might have got it..ill will let you know by nightfall..my buddy said same thing happened to him..wish me luck

Tags
not starting, wont fire, wont start