PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Leak question

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2014, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Leak question

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow so I can try to fix my oil leak. It appears in the middle of engine facing rear of vehicle . I am having to put 2 quarts of oil in it each day .
I have been told that it may possibly be oil sender. I was wondering if I was losing that much oil that the sender would detect drop in pressure and prevent engine from starting . Is that a feature of the switch .
I did get to check from top of engine and its not valve cover .Underneath filter a little wet and I snugged it up still having leak . Checked and snugged up pan bolts still have same amount of leakage . So Iam shooting fro sender hopefully.
Any thoughts or opinions ? The help would be appreciated
Paul

PS The amount of oil loss is after driving 50 miles a day

Last edited by paultek6; 29 Jan 2014 at 10:36 am. Reason: add info
Old 29 Jan 2014, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Leak question

Paul,

This is your first post. Do you have a PT Cruiser? You haven't filled out your profile or say anything about the car you drive in the question you asked. We also have a "welcome" thread where you introduce yourself and tell us about you vehicle. The weather is great down here, a little rain but right around 60 degrees. Not bad for the middle of winter. You say you need it to get better, but don't say where you are.

Oh, about your oil leak. Two quarts a day? The oil pressure switch, if you have a PT, would have had to fall out for that much oil to be spurting out of the engine., either that or hanging on by the last thread. Do you change your own oil? Sounds like whoever did the last time either left the old filter gasket on or forgot to tighten the filter itself. Shouldn't be "wet" at all under the filter.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Holy cow...a half gallon a day? Yeppir, that's more than severe...my wife's Nova has a leak at her timing chain cover that I consider "bad" and it's only a 1/2 quart for a whole day of driving on a V8! That leak has to be apparent when it's running, so I would "safely" at an idle (car locked down with ebrake), look under from the side with a strong flashlight so you can spot the "area" of the drip. Then when on jacks and stands, you can investigate with some better idea of the culprit!
Old 29 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Garkeller thanks for your reply . Exactly what Iam gonna do .Its been a lil cold here in Pennsylvania averaging below 15 past couple of days .Oil filter good possibility as last person who changed it was dealer.
They burned me once I bought the vehicle . Took it in for crank sensor and oil and filter change. The oil and filter change was suppose to be the first of three for free for buying vehicle . My wife took it in and didn't catch the charge for it.
In my younger years I worked as an tech for chevy dealership so I know how they operate .I figured purchasing vehicle from them . I would give them a chance .Looks like it didn't go well . Looks like I gotta do it myself .
Keep you informed
Thanks Paul
Old 29 Jan 2014, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultek6 View Post
Garkeller thanks for your reply . Exactly what Iam gonna do .Its been a lil cold here in Pennsylvania averaging below 15 past couple of days .Oil filter good possibility as last person who changed it was dealer.
They burned me once I bought the vehicle . Took it in for crank sensor and oil and filter change. The oil and filter change was suppose to be the first of three for free for buying vehicle . My wife took it in and didn't catch the charge for it.
In my younger years I worked as an tech for chevy dealership so I know how they operate .I figured purchasing vehicle from them . I would give them a chance .Looks like it didn't go well . Looks like I gotta do it myself .
Keep you informed
Thanks Paul
I have seen a oil sensor squirt a steady stream from the end but didn't drive but a couple miles to fix. so I don't know how much I could lose in 50. But I think that is one likely source. Your a turbo or N/A? Turbo's have more things to consider there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Jan 2014, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You're not giving us any clues - did leak always exist and has gotten worse?
Did it start after last oil change?
Any other work done?
Pool of oil under car when it sits, or only leaks when it's running?

Any clues at all?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jan 2014, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Guys ! Its non turbo .Seems to leak when its running . The small puddle I find the next morning is about 6 inches in diameter and where its parked after a 25 mile ride to work the same .It appears dead center of engine dripping towards rear of car. Oil change done quite a while ago .When first discovered it I did get to put a full turn to tighten it by hand .Maybe gasket went bad
We are going have some warmer weather tomorrow so gonna get a better look at it
Paul

Last edited by paultek6; 29 Jan 2014 at 03:01 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 03:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Rear of engine is usually I hate to say it but......rear main seal :/ Not a fun job. But maybe you'll luck out and it will be something much more simple :-)
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultek6 View Post
Thanks Guys ! Its non turbo .Seems to leak when its running . The small puddle I find the next morning is about 6 inches in diameter and where its parked after a 25 mile ride to work the same .It appears dead center of engine dripping towards rear of car. Oil change done quite a while ago .When first discovered it I did get to put a full turn to tighten it by hand .Maybe gasket went bad
We are going have some warmer weather tomorrow so gonna get a better look at it
Paul
Sounds like the oil sender unit to me. Its located near the tranny on the backside of the motor. Should be able to reach from top.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Jan 2014, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Pluminator leak is coming from side of block .Remember this is a front wheel drive car so engine sits sideways and if you reread my post its leaking towards rear of vehicle. Only three things can laek on that side . Sender ,filter or pan gasket. Tomorrow I will know getting a break in the weather and gonna get better look at it