Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By wwpptc
  • 2 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2014, 07:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT IGNITION CYLINDER STUCK

For the past few months I have had a problem with the ignition key not turning.
Most of the time I could jiggle it and get it to turn, but now no matter what I do it just won't turn. I did a bit of research and found that I cannot just replace the cylinder with new keys because my model is a Limited Edition which uses gray keys that have a chip inside them. I am a disabled senior citizen and need my car on a frequent basis for doctor appointments and such.
Can anyone tell me my options and possible costs involved? I am at wits end.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by ShawnKC; 30 Jan 2014 at 07:11 am. Reason: misspelled words
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT IGNITION CYLINDER STUCK

First, welcome to the forum!. You should introduce yourself in the new members section and tell us about yourself and your PT.

The "offical" solution to your problem would be to buy a new lock cylinder and key and have a Chrysler dealership program the new key to your car.

But a far less expensive and easier option will be to use one of the work-around solutions. An easy one is to buy a new lock cylinder with a standard key. And then hide your original grey key inside your steering column near the SKIM sensor. The sensor is separate from the key cylinder and bolts to the column. Here's some photos:

If it was me, I would likely buy a new lock cylinder with regular black key at a parts store. Then I would unbolt the sensor from the column. Plug it back in with the original grey key fixed to the ring with zip ties. And then hide it up inside the dash secured with zip ties.

Before you spend any money, you might want to experiment with leaving the original key in the car to assure it doesn't make the locks and dome light act strange. Other members may be able to report on any problems in this areas.

There's other choices too. Here's a link to get you started:

sentry key workaround
CREWZIN likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Jan 2014 at 08:07 am.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKC View Post
For the past few months I have had a problem with the ignition key not turning.
Most of the time I could jiggle it and get it to turn, but now no matter what I do it just won't turn. I did a bit of research and found that I cannot just replace the cylinder with new keys because my model is a Limited Edition which uses gray keys that have a chip inside them. I am a disabled senior citizen and need my car on a frequent basis for doctor appointments and such.
Can anyone tell me my options and possible costs involved? I am at wits end.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Call a locksmith or two to compare prices. They'll give quotes to come out and rekey it with new wafers back to your original key. That, of course, is if the worn out wafers are indeed your problem and since you said it was getting progressively worse over the last few months, that does sound very much like worn wafers. You shouldn't have waited til it left you stranded. The job will take the locksmith maybe 30 to 40 minutes to complete and you'll be good as new. You wouldn't have had this inconveince to deal with and you wouldn't have the "trip charge" part of the bill you're going to receive, if you had driven the PT to a locksmith shop when it first started acting up.

Again, all of this is predicated on your problem being the worn wafers. You could have linkage problems, but with the slow progression of your problem, I doubt it.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 30 Jan 2014 at 08:27 am.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Red face Re: 2001 PT IGNITION CYLINDER STUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
You shouldn't have waited til it left you stranded. The job will take the locksmith maybe 30 to 40 minutes to complete and you'll be good as new. You wouldn't have had this inconveince to deal with and you wouldn't have the "trip charge" part of the bill you're going to receive, if you had driven the PT to a locksmith shop when it first started acting up.
.....Jerry,is 100% correct;Because the cylinder won't turn,and it needs to turn to be removed easily.....Now it's a little tougher,not for a locksmith though.....They'll drill out the pin,so the cylinder can be turned & removed & replaced,and you DO NOT need new keys;The tumblers can be matched to your existing keys.
It would have been as easy as seen in this Youtube video,if you hadn't waited(and only about $30-$40):

Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to all for the quick replies. Unfortunately I would be unable to work on it myself due to the fact that I have severe arthritis in my hands. I have left a message on a local locksmith's website explaining the problem and requesting a quote. My sole income these days in social security disability payments which puts me on a very limited budget so I will just hope I can afford to get this problem fixed. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, it is very much appreciated.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome Shawn... Where are you located? This is an easy fix. One of my cruisers had the same problem. There is a button under the cylinder. Pushing on it removes the actual tumbler.( the key has to be out of "lock" though) A locksmith can repair them. Sometimes, if you lightly tap the key while inserted, it will allow you to turn the key. I did this with the battery disconnected. Most locksmiths will know how to do this.