Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another P0601 thread....need advice on decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2014, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another P0601 thread....need advice on decision

So My wife's 2002 Touring (non turbo, automatic) needed new tires.

I got a deal from selling the neighbors 2001 cruiser for them and before I did swapped off the tires (rims were the same) before doing so.

Feeling pretty proud that I got 4 new tires and a few $$ for selling the neighbors car for her I was dismayed that the next day the Engine light comes on.

I run a small shop here in NC. Scanned it...P0601 Great!

So looking here I see "Crewzin" mentions a site in a previous post (yes I read them all in this catagory) for "Auto Computer Exchange " out of Florida.

I checked them out and thought it might be a good idea to pay only $200 something instead of the $500 something Dodge wants...either way it's also $80 to Flash the computer.

Tried the ground cleaning trick and etc...no luck. Looks like I need a PCM.

So right before I was about to call and order a nagging voice said check for reviews...

It seems the "auto computer exchange" is not a good idea...the amount of horrible reviews is staggering.

Checked google for another and found "auto module blah blah blah " ...but further investigation found it is the same place with TWO websites...and all reviews say STAY AWAY!!! BEWARE!!!

Being older I am already leery of "EBAY" and Internet sites...I prefer a handshake and a real person.

So here is my dilema... I want to sell the PT...Wife wants a Wrangler now and I am glad to get rid of the PT..It's on it's 3rd trans, and now it's just literally due for Timing Belt service again at 160k.

talked to the dealer and the reman PCM is $500+ and $80 to flash to my vin.

Asked if maybe I could just re-flash my existing PCM first, see if that works, and if needed buy the PCM from them and only pay for 1 flash...no dice..$80 to try it, and another $80 if I end up needing the PCM.

Coupled with the cost of having to to the timing belt service which I would do myself, but still not cheap.

For a car I would probably only get $2000 ish for (she's in great shape, runs fine...just need timing service, and now this PCM dilemma )

just looking for advice...especially since internet computer exchange looks to sketchy to try

Dave
Old 03 Feb 2014, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Another P0601 thread....need advice on decision

I should also add that currently the car runs fine...however after clearing the code on the 2nd key cycle its right back
Old 03 Feb 2014, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's my personal experience with this same thing in this thread:

Great Folks at Auto Computer Exchange A+++

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Feb 2014 at 03:46 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2014, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmm! Thanks for the reply

So you had no issues with them?

The internet reviews are staggering...if I can get one for $143, slap it in and sell the PT I would be happy.....just nervous from what I read...it was more than 1 site I saw the reviews, which added to my apprehension

Dave
Old 03 Feb 2014, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I researched this heavily before making my purchase and I'm pretty sure I picked the right vendor to buy from.

These folks seem really bonzi about customer service. They've been in business for a while and they offer a lifetime warranty. So you really can't go wrong. Or at least, that's what I think. You can always call and talk to them before you buy. While it's often cheaper to buy from them off eBay, you can always call the number on their website. They treat all sales the same.
Old 03 Feb 2014, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks...

I trust the Advice from this forum

however the staggering amount of bad reviews give me pause

I guess I will go ahead and call them...and go from there...

I just want to sell it at this point...we've had it at least 4 years...it's been great, but I am tired of working on it