Advertisements
High Idle after battery change

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2014, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default High Idle after battery change

Hey guys and gals!
New to the forum. I searched and found a couple of similar problems and fixes but they werent exactly the same issue I'm having.

I just changed the battery in my 2003 PT Cruiser and now my idle is around 2500rpm. I know I could have possibly pulled a vacuum line loose but I don't see any immediate issues from looking around. Did I miss something during the change?
The battery placement was the dumbest I've seen to date. Moving all those parts around is just asking for issues, rant over, but its been a good little car otherwise.

Your suggestions and hints are appreciated.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: High Idle after battery change

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Nice to see that you took the time to go and fill out the personal information.

Changing the battery should not cause your idle problem. You may need to get a cup of coffee and then just carefully look at every thing your lean on touch removed and or replaced during your battery change.

If you had a scan tool you could see if you had any pending DTC. This would at least give you a better idea what you "bumped" during your battery installation?

What was the reason you changed your battery?i.e. Date code over the warranty period,hard starting,no starting,low flickering headlights etc.?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Feb 2014, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My 2001 didn't have it. But I believe there is a hose running to the filter housing on an 03. Make sure it is connected. And then check surrounding vacuum lines. Some one else with a similar 03, 04 or 05 might chime in on this.

If you cannot find a vacuum leak, then remove the negative terminal from the battery, press down the break peddle for about ten seconds and the reconnect. Start the car and it might idle down after running for a few seconds.

PS: I defer to Nitro now that I see he has posted. He's the expert on these.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
My 2001 didn't have it. But I believe there is a hose running to the filter housing on an 03. Make sure it is connected. And then check surrounding vacuum lines. Some one else with a similar 03, 04 or 05 might chime in on this.

If you cannot find a vacuum leak, then remove the negative terminal from the battery, press down the break peddle for about ten seconds and the reconnect. Start the car and it might idle down after running for a few seconds.

PS: I defer to Nitro now that I see he has posted. He's the expert on these.

hehe....that procedure on most modern ECU/PCM controlled vehicles is for working on the SRS not really anything else. The PCM has stored information in RAM so you can not erase that by disconnecting the power source. Nor will this remove DTC. It may temporarily turn the engine light off but that problem that caused the light will be in the readiness file until it is repaired or it will return.

I always use a 9 volt battery tender when ever I change mine or others battery. This way all the memory is kept in the system like radio settings. There is nothing so comically aggravating then an unhappy customer because they lost their station to listen to Rush Limbaugh.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Feb 2014 at 11:06 am.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
hehe....that procedure on most modern ECU/PCM controlled vehicles is for working on the SRS not really anything else. The PCM has stored information in RAM so you can not erase that by disconnecting the power source. Nor will this remove DTC. It may temporarily turn the engine light off but that problem that caused the light will be in the readiness file until it is repaired or it will return.

I always use a 9 volt battery tender when ever I change mine or others battery. This way all the memory is kept in the system like radio settings. There is nothing so comically aggravating then an unhappy customer because they lost their station to listen to Rush Limbaugh.
My 2003 Chrysler radio in my 2001 PT seems to hold the settings when the battery is loose. At least it will for an hour or two. But the engine will be harder to start and then rev for a bit. That appears to be normal according to accounts on this forum. And reading through the forum threads, doing the battery reconnect routine does seem to cure some unexplained PT ills. So I'd try it if I had the issues like the OP and couldn't find an obvious vacuum leak. However, the vacuum leak would definitely get my first vote baring any trouble codes that indicate otherwise.

But that sounds like a neat trick with the 9 volt. Do you just connect it between the the battery terminals or do you have a special way of connecting it?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Feb 2014 at 12:16 pm.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

But that sounds like a neat trick with the 9 volt. Do you just connect it between the the battery terminals or do you have a special way of connecting it?
anywhere you can have it connected on the battery leads so there is constant uninterrupted current when you change a battery
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Feb 2014, 04:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You re close to the Mo-Ark PT Cruiser club - there are members from all over SW MO and NW AR - even a couple from OK.

There may be someone near you.

Check us out at http://www.mo-arkptcruiserclub.com

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Harry! I'll check that out!
I took the advice, grabbed a cup of lifers-juice, sit back in the recliner, watched the snow fall.....then walked back to the garage. Sure enough, I found the host that had come loose. Problem solved.

Old 05 Feb 2014, 05:35 pm
Young Cruiser

If your cruiser has cruise control, the servo might be wonky. It also might be a bug with the Idle Air Control.

Check the servo for any broken-ness. On mine, I have the cable housing tied down into place with a zip tie because the tip of the servo's "cone" broke in half, and with it, the seat for said cable housing.
Old 05 Feb 2014, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I figured out the issue and tried to post what I found, along with some pix but the moderators are a bit slow with ok'ing my post!!!!