PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
no turn signals

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7
Question no turn signals

So I just had an issue where I lost all my tail lights, dash lights and front markers. I replaced the multifunction switch and that corrected everything but the turn signals only worked if the car was off. I returned the new switch and got another one. I put it in the other day and now the turn signals do not work at all. I checked the fuses and they are good. The hazard lights work so I do not think it is the flasher. Also, the lights do not even come on when I try to use the turn signal.

Is this just bad luck and I got another bad unit or is it pointing at a different issue?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04 Feb 2014, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: no turn signals

Hi up. Quick tip. Check your emergency light button isn't stuck. Push it in and out. Sorted me out. Jb
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Feb 2014, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 37
Default Re: no turn signals

Mine does that sometimes, if I turn on the hazards and tap the brakes, it starts working again. It doesn't fix it completely, because a couple weeks later it'll come back, but it keeps me on the road.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04 Feb 2014, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: no turn signals

The flasher unit is key to both the 4-way and turn signal circuits.
It has a hot battery input and a separate 12-volt ignition switched input. It also has one output pin (and two grounds for the flashing).

The turn signals should not work without the ignition on. The 4-way flashers work either way.
The power passes through the flasher to the flasher switch. When off, this switch passes power to the turn-signal system. The turn-signal lever then closes (completes) the flasher circuit and selects L or R.
When the hazard switch is on, it switches power to a separate circuit in the MFS and the four corners flash.
Fuse #19 (15 amp) in PDC controls battery hot.
Fuse #15 (20 amp) in dash fuse block controls ignition 12-volt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkchylde View Post
So I just had an issue where I lost all my tail lights, dash lights and front markers. I replaced the multifunction switch and that corrected everything but the turn signals only worked if the car was off. I returned the new switch and got another one. I put it in the other day and now the turn signals do not work at all. I checked the fuses and they are good. The hazard lights work so I do not think it is the flasher. Also, the lights do not even come on when I try to use the turn signal.

Is this just bad luck and I got another bad unit or is it pointing at a different issue?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 Feb 2014, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7
Default Re: no turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeori View Post
Hi up. Quick tip. Check your emergency light button isn't stuck. Push it in and out. Sorted me out. Jb
It is not stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The flasher unit is key to both the 4-way and turn signal circuits.
It has a hot battery input and a separate 12-volt ignition switched input. It also has one output pin (and two grounds for the flashing).

The turn signals should not work without the ignition on. The 4-way flashers work either way.
The power passes through the flasher to the flasher switch. When off, this switch passes power to the turn-signal system. The turn-signal lever then closes (completes) the flasher circuit and selects L or R.
When the hazard switch is on, it switches power to a separate circuit in the MFS and the four corners flash.
Fuse #19 (15 amp) in PDC controls battery hot.
Fuse #15 (20 amp) in dash fuse block controls ignition 12-volt.
Well I will check these fuses again when I get home to see what the issue could be. The flasher was very tight and difficult to insert into this MFS. I will probably end up removing the switch and checking the connector to ensure all the wires are still in place in the connector since it melted a little.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 Feb 2014, 03:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: no turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkchylde View Post
...The flasher was very tight and difficult to insert into this MFS. I will probably end up removing the switch and checking the connector to ensure all the wires are still in place in the connector since it melted a little.
Excuse me! Two new red flags. You have likely found your problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Exclamation Re: no turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkchylde View Post
The flasher was very tight and difficult to insert into this MFS. I will probably end up removing the switch and checking the connector to ensure all the wires are still in place in the connector since it melted a little.
Does it look anything like this????

MFS with burnt/melted connector & wiring:




__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7
Default Re: no turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Does it look anything like this????

MFS with burnt/melted connector & wiring:




The plug was melted but I was not even able to remove the whole black locking tab. It was melted in place on the same end as what you have pictured. I was not able to do anything with it last night due to shoveling 6 inches of freakin snow....
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2014, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7
Default Re: no turn signals

So still not working... checked the 20 pin connector and it seems ok, Want to test the flasher since no parts stores carry it and I would need to order one. Anyone know how to test the flasher unit?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2014, 01:00 am
767skyking's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Inland Empire Ca
Posts: 754
Default Re: no turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkchylde View Post
So still not working... Want to test the flasher
Hey Dark... what year is your car. I have a couple of extra ones. I will send it to you. PM me if you need.
__________________
The "Three Amigos" (And Growing)
Performace, Body and Service, OEM
"Team Amigos FREE Parts!! PM me for details!!

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT turn signals (or lack of) dgranros Tech & Performance Forum 6 05 Jan 2015 01:54 pm
Turn signals not working OCD Tech & Performance Forum 5 15 Oct 2013 08:02 am
turn signals yukonak2 General PT Cruiser Discussions 7 10 Sep 2013 01:44 pm
turn signals and hazzards asguard Tech & Performance Forum 2 08 Feb 2010 02:33 pm
turn signals AlexJB Exterior Accessories Forum 6 12 May 2008 08:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors