Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
no turn signals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question no turn signals

So I just had an issue where I lost all my tail lights, dash lights and front markers. I replaced the multifunction switch and that corrected everything but the turn signals only worked if the car was off. I returned the new switch and got another one. I put it in the other day and now the turn signals do not work at all. I checked the fuses and they are good. The hazard lights work so I do not think it is the flasher. Also, the lights do not even come on when I try to use the turn signal.

Is this just bad luck and I got another bad unit or is it pointing at a different issue?
Old 04 Feb 2014, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: no turn signals

Hi up. Quick tip. Check your emergency light button isn't stuck. Push it in and out. Sorted me out. Jb
Old 04 Feb 2014, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine does that sometimes, if I turn on the hazards and tap the brakes, it starts working again. It doesn't fix it completely, because a couple weeks later it'll come back, but it keeps me on the road.
Old 04 Feb 2014, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The flasher unit is key to both the 4-way and turn signal circuits.
It has a hot battery input and a separate 12-volt ignition switched input. It also has one output pin (and two grounds for the flashing).

The turn signals should not work without the ignition on. The 4-way flashers work either way.
The power passes through the flasher to the flasher switch. When off, this switch passes power to the turn-signal system. The turn-signal lever then closes (completes) the flasher circuit and selects L or R.
When the hazard switch is on, it switches power to a separate circuit in the MFS and the four corners flash.
Fuse #19 (15 amp) in PDC controls battery hot.
Fuse #15 (20 amp) in dash fuse block controls ignition 12-volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkchylde View Post
So I just had an issue where I lost all my tail lights, dash lights and front markers. I replaced the multifunction switch and that corrected everything but the turn signals only worked if the car was off. I returned the new switch and got another one. I put it in the other day and now the turn signals do not work at all. I checked the fuses and they are good. The hazard lights work so I do not think it is the flasher. Also, the lights do not even come on when I try to use the turn signal.

Is this just bad luck and I got another bad unit or is it pointing at a different issue?
Old 05 Feb 2014, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeori View Post
Hi up. Quick tip. Check your emergency light button isn't stuck. Push it in and out. Sorted me out. Jb
It is not stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The flasher unit is key to both the 4-way and turn signal circuits.
It has a hot battery input and a separate 12-volt ignition switched input. It also has one output pin (and two grounds for the flashing).

The turn signals should not work without the ignition on. The 4-way flashers work either way.
The power passes through the flasher to the flasher switch. When off, this switch passes power to the turn-signal system. The turn-signal lever then closes (completes) the flasher circuit and selects L or R.
When the hazard switch is on, it switches power to a separate circuit in the MFS and the four corners flash.
Fuse #19 (15 amp) in PDC controls battery hot.
Fuse #15 (20 amp) in dash fuse block controls ignition 12-volt.
Well I will check these fuses again when I get home to see what the issue could be. The flasher was very tight and difficult to insert into this MFS. I will probably end up removing the switch and checking the connector to ensure all the wires are still in place in the connector since it melted a little.
Old 05 Feb 2014, 03:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
...The flasher was very tight and difficult to insert into this MFS. I will probably end up removing the switch and checking the connector to ensure all the wires are still in place in the connector since it melted a little.
Excuse me! Two new red flags. You have likely found your problem.
Old 05 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: no turn signals

Quote:
The flasher was very tight and difficult to insert into this MFS. I will probably end up removing the switch and checking the connector to ensure all the wires are still in place in the connector since it melted a little.
Does it look anything like this????

MFS with burnt/melted connector & wiring:

Old 06 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Does it look anything like this????

MFS with burnt/melted connector & wiring:

The plug was melted but I was not even able to remove the whole black locking tab. It was melted in place on the same end as what you have pictured. I was not able to do anything with it last night due to shoveling 6 inches of freakin snow....
Old 16 Feb 2014, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So still not working... checked the 20 pin connector and it seems ok, Want to test the flasher since no parts stores carry it and I would need to order one. Anyone know how to test the flasher unit?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
So still not working... Want to test the flasher
Hey Dark... what year is your car. I have a couple of extra ones. I will send it to you. PM me if you need.