PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
4 Hours in a bay, with lift. Do *blank* if there's spare time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2014, 11:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 4 Hours in a bay, with lift. Do *blank* if there's spare time?

I'm going to a self-service garage to use a lift/tools for LCAs and Rad Fan replacement. All going well that should not kill 4 hours. (Unless I am rustier than I think.... and/or the eternal infernal unexpected problem arises.)

If I have some time left what would be good extras to throw at a 2007 Touring with 94K miles? Obviously not a timing belt, but maybe a Trans filter and fluid change?

I will also be eyeballing the rest of the suspension and brakes to see what if anything they need (No obvious symptoms).

Other ideas for good use of the time?
Old 05 Feb 2014, 12:00 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 4 Hours in a bay, with lift. Do *blank* if there's spare time?

I'd think check the CV axles and see if there's any wheel bearing issues. Also, engine mounts. I hear that the lower torque strut is notorious for going kablooie.

Although, if it HAS gone kablooie, you probably would notice that the car THUDS into Drive 9 out of 10 times. That's what our '03 Touring did.

I got a video to prove it to the mechanic who replaced it for us. The third movement you'll see is where the thudding into drive came from.

Old 05 Feb 2014, 01:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: 4 Hours in a bay, with lift. Do *blank* if there's spare time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
I will also be eyeballing the rest of the suspension and brakes to see what if anything they need (No obvious symptoms).
Definately check the bushings on your front stabilizer bar & end links,bellcrank & watts links,and also rear stabilizer bar(if equipped?),maybe even your bump stops(while your there!).........With 94k on the odometer,I'm betting they need replacing,if they're still the original ones.
Old 05 Feb 2014, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Definately check the bushings on your front stabilizer bar & end links,bellcrank & watts links,and also rear stabilizer bar(if equipped?),maybe even your bump stops(while your there!).........With 94k on the odometer,I'm betting they need replacing,if they're still the original ones.
I have seen these with 200k on them and still solid. Must be other factors when people have these go bad.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Feb 2014, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

My thought would be to service the transmission. Or that's what I would do.
Old 06 Feb 2014, 12:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: 4 Hours in a bay, with lift. Do *blank* if there's spare time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I have seen these with 200k on them and still solid. Must be other factors when people have these go bad.
That's why I said maybe...While it's on a lift,just take 2 seconds for a look-see.
Old 08 Feb 2014, 07:28 am
Senior Cruiser

All good ideas, and to add, if you do the tranny remember to leave 4 bolts 'hanging' when you break loose the pan. And wear full goggles as one drop of atf can spoil the progress. My first suggestion would be to do a complete visual inspection of the entire underneath. This 'luxury' doesn't happen very often! A great time to check the exhaust, rubber bushings, rust on lines, wires hanging, etc. A spray can of medium oil and a jar of grease with a brush may extend the life of stuff. Tie rod ends too. E brake cables.

Given a choice without being rushed, I would rather do a brake job on a lift [and do the tranny on ramps].
Old 08 Feb 2014, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Got my time in.... the winner ended up being front brakes. They were paper thin, LOL. Ohh well, best laid plans of mice and men, eh?

All told, 5 hours and I got both LCAs in (No more knocka-knocka YAY!), I also replaced the lower torque strut, Rad Fan and front brakes/new rotors.

I'll need to schedule another day for oil change, tranny "full empty"/filter/fill and a few other odd items.

The pulley shield is beat to crap, would a junkyard be the best source to find one?

Ohh and I broke my damn oil dipstick handle getting the fan out... grrr.
Old 08 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh my, you did your own brakes???

Nitro will be so upset....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Feb 2014, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Oh my, you did your own brakes???

Nitro will be so upset....
Didn't he tell you that he is bringing his PT to me for a free 100 point safety inspection. If I find anything wrong I am going to repair it for free he just needs to buy the parts and wine!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN