Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 2.4 DOHC turbo losing power steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2014, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 04 2.4 DOHC turbo losing power steering

hi all i have a 04 pt cruiser 2.4 dohc turbo and recently it has been burning through power steering fluid like crazy i have tried to pinpoint a leak and found nothing and today while a friend was looking at it for me just incase i missed something we opened my radiator cap and found orange sludge instead of the normal yellowish gold antifreeze that is normally present. any ideas? I'm getting really tired of spending $7 bucks every couple of days for ATF +4 to put in my power steering pump just to have to add more every time i need to drive it
Old 05 Feb 2014, 08:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 04 2.4 DOHC turbo losing power steering

I have found out that leaks occur in a couple of places on a turbo... try to get a small mirror under the pump with a light. The high pressure hose leaks at the connection. I have found them loose. The other place is at the rack.

Old 05 Feb 2014, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper11589 View Post
hi all i have a 04 pt cruiser 2.4 dohc turbo and recently it has been burning through power steering fluid like crazy i have tried to pinpoint a leak and found nothing and today while a friend was looking at it for me just incase i missed something we opened my radiator cap and found orange sludge instead of the normal yellowish gold antifreeze that is normally present. any ideas? I'm getting really tired of spending $7 bucks every couple of days for ATF +4 to put in my power steering pump just to have to add more every time i need to drive it
I have only heard of this happening once. But the cooling tube that the power steering flows through in the lower radiator tank, ruptured letting the atf-4 into the cooling system. But you could have other causes.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

after doing a little research i found that some people are saying that on the pt cruiser ranging from 01-05 there is a power steering fluid cooler attached to the radiator that could rupture and cause the power steering fluid to mix with the radiator fluid, causing them to mix and get dumped out the overflow tank for the radiator can anyone here confirm the existence of a "intercooler" for the power steering system?
This car has been a headache from 2 months after i bought it and I'm really tired of pouring money into the damn thing so anything will help. I'm planning on fixing it up as best i can and selling it now.
Old 19 May 2014, 12:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My son's 03 PT GT developed a P/S leak in the rack. The tie rod bellows on the driver's side is full of fluid. Sign we should have noticed was wet all around the rack and driver's side frame rail behind the wheel. Haven't repaired it yet as the leak was only discovered yesterday.

Regarding the the radiator cooler leak problem, my 03 Dream Cruiser is repaired wreck and has no factory Turbo car cooling system parts up front.
The power steering hose was cut and a filter installed then clamped in the line, bypassing the cooler altogether. The non-turbo radiator/cooling fan assembly was working OK until the jake-leg wiring gave out after 4 months and 2500 miles, no fire thank God! I have since been redoing a lot of the repair work but just can't the turbo engine fan route. I have yet to hook up the fan by switch/relay inside the cockpit.

I noticed yesterday since the boys car has a bad rack that mine had at one time a leak since the area around the driver's side rack was stained but not wet! They must have replaced the rack since it is really clean and shows none of the road grime etc. of 10 years age.