Advertisements
Sheared Off Motor Mount Bolt - 2001 PT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2014, 09:45 am
Young Cruiser

Default Sheared Off Motor Mount Bolt - 2001 PT

Well... I just became a member of the Club. I was coming home from work in bumper to bumper highway traffic (the kind where one minute you're doing 55 then the next minute you're slamming on the brakes, then 55, then slam...).

After about the forth slam, i hear a "crack" then "knock,knock,knock,knock". Pulled over...i was sure i threw a rod. I was a mile from home and was pi$$ed so I drove it home anyway... knocking all the way. It was dark and the PT is so low to the ground you can't see under it anyway.... so there it sat.

Two snow storms later, i drove it into my garage where it sat for another two weeks... i was still pi$$ed thinking the engine was shot.

I finally dropped the oil pan but didn't find any metal particles/chunks in the oil and rod bearings were fine... not loose. Ok, next I thought it could be a cracked Flexplate but it seemed ok of what i could see (used inspection camera).

Finally... there it was in my face. I could see wear marks on the metal frame right next to the A/C pulley but the A/C pulley wasn't touching it (car jacked up). When i dropped the car, the A/C would contact the metal frame . It was the "knock" i was looking for... but how did it get there ? Why did it move?

To make a long story short... it seems like the torque struts ripped (old age) from the stop & go traffic causing the motor to slide forward shearing off the motor mount bolt causing the engine to drop.

Now i have to figure out how to remove the broken bolt from the engine block.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 10:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Sheared Off Motor Mount Bolt - 2001 PT

try the method used here:
Removal of Snapped off Main Motor Mount Bolt - SUCCESSFUL!
Badglas likes this.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 07:38 pm
Young Cruiser

UPDATE:

1. Bought Left-Hand Drill Bits (LHBs) and an EZ-Out Set.
2. Tried drilling out the broken bolt through the wheel well (with LHBs). Thought it would just spin out using the LHBs - Ha, NOPE.
3. Tried the EZ-Out Set through the wheel well - Ha, Ha, NOPE.
4. Removed the Engine Support Bracket (along with all the aggravation that goes with that - plus every cuss word you can think of).
5. Set up the Bracket in a bench vise and retried the EZ-Out. -Ha, Ha, Ha, NOPE.
6. Broke out the FIRE. Used an Oxy Torch to heat up the bracket and retry the EZ-Out. After what seems like using half a tank of gas and 15 tries... its out.
7. The threads in the Bracket are totally shot.

My Question:

Anyone have experience with Heli-Coils?

The broken bolt is an M12. Can i drill out the bracket hole to a 1/2" diameter and use a Heli-Coil in the new hole (its easier to find a 1/2" Heli-Coil Kit than a M12)? A half inch bolt will fit through the wheel well hole.

Any machinists out there? Appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 11:40 pm
Young Cruiser

I was able to fix my threads so I used a 12mm socket head capscrew. Yes, you should be able to just use a 1/2" helicoil insert - again, a socket head capscrew (allen head bolt) works well - it's plenty hard/strong enough and there's more room to tighten it. I couldn't get a socket over a regular bolt - the factory one is Torx headed.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 03:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Steve; would replacing the bracket be cheaper?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Take the correct bolt hardened and cut a small grove the length of the threads on two sides and let it clean up those threads. Tip courtesy of rob342!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Feb 2014, 12:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Busted_PT:
The threads are gone (in the Support Bracket)...totally torn up. I wouldn't try to thread another bolt in there.

PT06:
I thought about buying another Support Bracket also... i priced one out a while back, think it was around $100 bucks. But i like the idea of going to a larger diameter bolt (1/2"). I don't want this to break again... hopefully.

EvilSpirit:
Good point on the socket clearance for a hex head bolt(didn't think of that). I went down (garage) and checked... i found that if i use large washers, the hex head will be outside the recessed hole. I should be able to get away with it, just need a long enough bolt.

Appreciate everyones input.... thanks.

Last edited by SteveG22; 19 Feb 2014 at 04:57 am. Reason: Fix Typo
Old 19 Feb 2014, 06:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Steve; I was thinking of a used boneyard bracket. [with threads included at no extra charge!]