Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser just lost its transmission going down the highway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2014, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser just lost its transmission going down the highway

2004 2.4 non turbo automatic with 154000 miles. The took a 130 mile round trip with the cruiser today and she said it just wouldn't accelerate so she was force to pull to the side. When I got there I thought it would be the transmission gear selector cable but that is intact and functioning. Automatic transmission levels are at spec. I checked the levels prior to her leaving and it was near perfect in color. Now that I checked it this morning (had it towed home) its dark in color almost brown. The car has no codes and the engine bogs down like it normally does when you run the gear selector. I would believe the trans is toast but any thoughts as to why? It ran like a champ until it just stopped. Last filter and fluid change was 44k ago. I know I need to pull the pan and see but its 9 degrees out and snowing!
Old 10 Feb 2014, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser just lost its transmission going down the highway

mine did the same thing on the way home from work i turned and it said NOPE towed it home droped the pan fluid was not verry dark didnt smell burned but it was gone neve had a idea why just got a pick n pull tranny for $450 out of a stratus did the R&R and im running again
Old 10 Feb 2014, 01:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
mine did the same thing on the way home from work i turned and it said NOPE towed it home droped the pan fluid was not verry dark didnt smell burned but it was gone neve had a idea why just got a pick n pull tranny for $450 out of a stratus did the R&R and im running again
I'm glad that you got it fixed. so a tranny from a Stratus will work? Something worth remembering if a transmission is needed.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Boy I just don't know! I took a closer look at the fluid and its not burnt or really even discolored. The blue shop towel threw me off! With other cars I know of that have had transmission failures there was always some motion or leak, even a engine code! Any ideas other than dropping the pan.
Electronics or sensors that would cause this???
Old 11 Feb 2014, 07:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Flint; Do the filter and pan first, as it sometimes tells it's own story. The pan and filter should be pretty clean.

Your tranny clutches are controlled by solenoid valves. These valves are controlled by the transmission control module [tcm]. The tcm receives signals from other sources. And every signal and powered voltage must go thru wires and thru connectors. Sooooooooo, take your pick. There are ways to check out problems with scanners, which MAY help locate the trouble.

Welcome to modern technology!
Old 11 Feb 2014, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This would be bad right? There are some larger bits than on the magnet but still very very small. Please advise wife needs to from more than just me. Thanks
Old 14 Feb 2014, 06:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Flint; I've never seen one like that before! ---- Usually there is a black slimy 'coating' covering the magnet about 1/32" thick , and a thin film on the bottom of the pan.

I recommend showing it to a small local tranny shop and get their opinion.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well it looks like a R&R for a new used transmission! Solenoid had metal in it to! Half way out with it and we get 6 more inches of snow!!! Oh well it will be cold and sloppy fun. Will advise when done.