Advertisements
ignition coil

Like Tree7Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2014, 03:14 am
Young Cruiser

Default ignition coil

My 01 pt has 139,530 miles and is due for tune-up. Obviously I am changing plugs,wires, and ignition coil. I am using Autolite Professional Series wires, Bosch platinum+4 plugs, and Accel Super coil. Is this choice for coil acceptable? What coil is good? Anyone have suggestions?
Old 12 Feb 2014, 04:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ignition coil

Are you having any problems with the stock coil? if not, I'd leave it be as we see very few complaints or problems with the OEM coil.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2001ptcruiser View Post
My 01 pt has 139,530 miles and is due for tune-up. Obviously I am changing plugs,wires, and ignition coil. I am using Autolite Professional Series wires, Bosch platinum+4 plugs, and Accel Super coil. Is this choice for coil acceptable? What coil is good? Anyone have suggestions?
Yep. The consensus on this forum is that the original factory coil on the PT is very good and will likely last for the life of the car for normal street driving conditions.

On the plugs, many like Iridiums. I use NKG Iridiums myself. Plug wires are more a matter of choice. You can read about my tune up here:

The "Handy" Tune-Up
Old 12 Feb 2014, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2001ptcruiser View Post

The question about the coil is much like spark plugs it was not one of should I? So yes your coil choice is acceptable.

The Accel uses very high quality materials .

One way to check you stock coil besides a ohms test or have someone run it on an oscilloscope is a visual is to look at the underside and see if the epoxy is starting to show small hair cracks. Also look at the terminals for corrosion or any fracturing at the point the go into the plastic case.

If you look there are posts commenting of stock coil failures on this forum.

Besides the Accel is a "KOOL" yellow coil!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Feb 2014, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep. The consensus on this forum is that the original factory coil on the PT is very good and will likely last for the life of the car for normal street driving conditions.

On the plugs, many like Iridiums. I use NKG Iridiums myself. Plug wires are more a matter of choice. You can read about my tune up here:
It gets bad when parts evaluation gets replaced with a democracy in which the consensus is the ruling on the condition of parts.
I would guess 10 coils from a PT Cruiser and test them on an oscilloscope will show at least one not up to specification.
BTW Carl @ Performance Dynamics and Dr Jacobs of Jacobs electronic confirms this about most automotive transformers (coils).

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Feb 2014 at 09:57 am.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
It gets bad when parts evaluation gets replaced with a democracy in which the consensus is the ruling on the condition of parts.
I would guess 10 coils from a PT Cruiser and test them on an oscilloscope will show at least one not up to specification.
BTW Carl @ Performance Dynamics and Dr Jacobs of Jacobs electronic confirms this about most automotive transformers (coils).
In a perfect world, every consensus would always have at least one decenter to help keep the majority honest. I look forward to reminding the decenter of this when he later routinely joins the unwashed masses in a common opinion.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
In a perfect world, every consensus would always have at least one decenter to help keep the majority honest. I look forward to reminding the decenter of this when he later routinely joins the unwashed masses in a common opinion.

Ok smart guy
care to have yoru coil tested?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Feb 2014, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

EDITED

I'm not going to have this discussion anymore. I come here to find out new things about our strange looking little cars, share what I know and have fun. The OP has plenty of information to go forward with. We have better and more interesting things to discuss.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Feb 2014 at 12:10 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You are playing with words?(Edward Bulwer)
The first post is very clear and in plain English. And the use of "knowledgeable" on most forums is interpretation of the individuals perception and it has been my observation not usually so.

I simply argue that the OP was asking about "Is this choice for coil acceptable", "What coil is good" as in choice used by others using different coils for their PT to get, and last point "Anyone have suggestions?" as in choices of coils that some may have used or know of available for a PT cruiser?

I am sorry where was the question about the longevity,function,or failure of any coil?

And your edited version of your response did NOT give other options of choice in coils only what not to do by you and another member?

Some of you get on your "crusade about oem "coils" IMO based on a incomplete and inaccurate reports of failed after market coils posted on forums by what you refer to as "knowledgeable" members?

so there!

Other transformer (coil) option that will work great and run equally as well as a stock coil and IMO look better then an oem coil

Accel (yellow casing)
MSD (RED Casing)

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Feb 2014 at 12:26 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lynn, you can quit boosting about the color coils because you can't see the darn coil once it's installed. Same with the wires except maybe a peek-a-boo look at an inch or two on one of the wires.

As far as fail after market coils, yes including the famous MSD. We have had people come and replace a good OEM coil for an after market one and had problems. That's good enough for me and lots of others that have seen the posts, to stick with the OEM until or if it ever fails.

Weather they are "knowledgeable" or not, if they (more than one) come to the forum and tell us about a failed after market part (no matter what it is), that's real word testing. Some will take it as a precaution and pass the word. It's up to others to head that word or not. You have no right to blow off what we've seen first hand because of your graphs, oscilloscopes and testimonials.

While I'm on my soap box: the key trick ... IT WORKS !!! what more can you say, but you jump in every time and tell us not to trust it and get a scanner. It worked for me when mt Camshaft sensor wires burnt out and it's worked for hundreds of others that have come to the forum with the code they retrieved.
It's first good step in finding out why the fault light comes on.

Closed Thread