Advertisements
TIPM help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2014, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default TIPM help

Hello all!
New member here with some questions.

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser base model. Front right low beam is not working. Asked the tech at Firestone to check while the car was in for new tires last week. They replaced the bulb & checked the wiring and reset the TIPM by disconnecting the battery but low beam still doesn't work. He thought it was probably the TIPM but they don't have the test equipment to check it and suggested I take it to the dealer.

From searching the forum it looks like this has come up before so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. Money is a bit tight so I'm trying to fix as cheaply as possible. Dealer wants $150 just to do a diagnostic and it sounds like dealer replacement of the TIPM is out of my budget anyway. So here are my questions:

1.) Since Firestone checked the bulbs, wiring, etc. is it safe to assume it must be the TIPM and just order an aftermarket replacement?

2.) What problems might I expect trying to replace the TIPM myself. I do have a good amount of car repair experience on older vehicles. Any how-tos out there? I couldn't seem to find anything.

3.) I tried the ignition key error code test and it didn't seem to work. The odometer just continued to show the mileage. Seems like a pretty simple test. What could I have missed?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kirk
Old 25 Feb 2014, 02:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: TIPM help

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarsen01 View Post
3.) I tried the ignition key error code test and it didn't seem to work. The odometer just continued to show the mileage. Seems like a pretty simple test. What could I have missed?
Even if there are no codes,when the 'key dance' is performed correctly,the display should read '-DONE-';Your probably not doing it the right way,sometimes seeing it performed is better there reading about it:(Video courtesy of Danny 'Wolfman' G.)

As for the TIPM problem,you might want to check this thread out also:Serious PT Problem
Old 25 Feb 2014, 03:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: TIPM help

Read through this thread. Seems like a cheap alternative to fixing the TIPM.

One Headlight Won't turn on!
Old 25 Feb 2014, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Even if there are no codes,when the 'key dance' is performed correctly,the display should read '-DONE-';Your probably not doing it the right way,sometimes seeing it performed is better there reading about it:(Video courtesy of Danny 'Wolfman' G.)

Ahh... I guess i just wasn't turning the key fast enough. Thanks! Got it to work but no error messages.

As for the TIPM problem,you might want to check this thread out also:Serious PT Problem
I saw that thread. Kind of a different issue. The only thing not working on my PT is the left low beam headlight.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 04:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Read through this thread. Seems like a cheap alternative to fixing the TIPM.

One Headlight Won't turn on!
Yeah, I was considering that. I thought I would look into fixing it "right" before modifying it if possible.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 04:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Rock Auto offers a service through Dorman where you send yours in and they will rebuild it and send it back. I believe it is around $250.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Rock Auto offers a service through Dorman where you send yours in and they will rebuild it and send it back. I believe it is around $250.
Yeah, I was looking at this one from Dorman: DormanŽ - Totally Integrated Power Module - 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Dorman Totally Integrated Power Modules - Dorman 599-909

Says its plug & play, no programing.
I can't really send mine to be rebuilt as we only have the one car.

Just wondering if there was anything else I should look at what was involved with doing the actual replacement. Anybody ever replace a TIPM by themselves?

Thanks!
Old 26 Feb 2014, 03:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think the replacement is fairly easy. But you will have to take it to the dealer to have it flashed for your VIN.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 08:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

My 06 had no Low Beams even after replacing the Dimmer switch. Moved on to replacing the TIPM and got one from RockAuto. Plug and Play, lights now are working properly.
But now the dash brake light is on all the time and the first replacement had several codes - network communication failed. RA Replaced the tipm and the network communication failures are gone but the brake light stays on. It wasn't on with the OEM. Two codes left o2 sensor voltage high and air bag sensor
Easy to change, 7 connections and a power cable.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 27 Feb 2014 at 08:37 pm.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
My 06 had no Low Beams even after replacing the Dimmer switch. Moved on to replacing the TIPM and got one from RockAuto. Plug and Play, lights now are working properly.
But now the dash brake light is on all the time and the first replacement had several codes - network communication failed. RA Replaced the tipm and the network communication failures are gone but the brake light stays on. It wasn't on with the OEM. Two codes left o2 sensor voltage high and air bag sensor
Easy to change, 7 connections and a power cable.
Thanks JoeX. I figured it was fairly easy to replace. The brake light & error codes kind of concern me, though. For that kind of money I'd hope the car would be 100% after the repair. I guess I'll see how it goes on mine.

Tags
tipm