PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Disconnecting Battery Question(to service)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2014, 03:36 am
Young Cruiser

Default Disconnecting Battery Question(to service)

Hello PT'ers..I am planning to replace ignition coil, wires, and plugs. The manual states, disconnecting negative side of battery. Is this absolutely necessary? May sound silly but I'd like to keep the memory on my recently installed aftermarket JVC system. This whole site is GREAT!!
Old 27 Feb 2014, 04:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Disconnecting Battery Question(to service)

Necessary, NO, for safety, YES. Besides, it's good once in awhile to reset the computer to get a fresh start, can't hurt. May I ask why your replacing the ignition coil? Are you having problems? It's not part of the regular tune up procedures and the OEM coil is a good one. Very seldom do any of the people with problems that come to this forum have a problem with it. Your better off leaving it alone..unless of course your having problems related to the coil.

As far as keeping all your presets and memory of your stereo, if you can hang on before the tune-up, there's a little thing you can buy that goes into your cigarette lighter (or power plug) that will give enough power to keep your memory going.

Here's the gadget that keeps the memory for your stereo. As you can see you just plug it into the 12V socket and attach a 9V battery to it. You can also make your own if you have an old 12V plug around from something you don't use anymore and attach the wires in many different ways to a 9V battery.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2 sections of any wire or cord and a 9volt battery will work just fine.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Feb 2014, 04:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Necessary, NO, for safety, YES. Besides, it's good once in awhile to reset the computer to get a fresh start, can't hurt. May I ask why your replacing the ignition coil? Are you having problems? It's not part of the regular tune up procedures and the OEM coil is a good one. Very seldom do any of the people with problems that come to this forum have a problem with it. Your better off leaving it alone..unless of course your having problems related to the coil.

As far as keeping all your presets and memory of your stereo, if you can hang on before the tune-up, there's a little thing you can buy that goes into your cigarette lighter (or power plug) that will give enough power to keep your memory going.

Here's the gadget that keeps the memory for your stereo. As you can see you just plug it into the 12V socket and attach a 9V battery to it. You can also make your own if you have an old 12V plug around from something you don't use anymore and attach the wires in many different ways to a 9V battery.
Thanks Carey, I have the coil just in case. Wires and plugs I am replacing. Hope it gets warm soon enough, minus 3 tonight in Central Pa.