PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Belt question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2014, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power Steering Belt question

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure I know what is going on here, but I want some advice before I have it checked. I'm in Eastern Iowa (where we've been enjoying (cough cough) single digit to - digit temps for a while. When I first start the car, I have no power steering, and the belt squeals enough that my coworkers are asking me if I'm going to just shoot the car. After a bit, the squeal goes away, and the power steering works (for the most part, fine, but sometimes it's still a bit rough).

I'm thinking (hoping) that it's either the belt tensioner needs adjusting, or the belt needs to be replaced. The car has 82,000 miles on it (on the original belt as far as I know).

The car is a 2002 PT Cruiser Dream Limited Edition (or whatever's in my signature).

I've got it scheduled for an oil change and belt inspection in a few hours, but even if the suggestions come late, I'll be more than happy with them (plus they may help the next person).

Thanks, and have a great day.
Patrick.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Belt question

Hi. First, the ONLY Dream Cruiser they had in 2002 was a bright GOLD color so yours is just a Limited Edition model.

As for your screaming edition cruiser, your right as far as guessing what it might be. The tensioner or the belt and the severe cold might have something to do with it. My guess would be the tensioner.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I'll have them check the tensioner today (if that's not something they do in their Pre-installation inspection). I can always have them do the install later. I work about half a block away from the shop.

Have a great day.
Patrick.

P.S. As far as the "Dream" part, I'm not sure if it was on the car, or on the title. I honestly don't remember where I saw it at.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

let the car warm up without the heat or defrost on. That should help. The belts are very hard when cold and will soften a little when they heat up. That's my theory anyway.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 06 Mar 2014, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I took it into the shop. They gave me the usual list of things (shocks, struts, and bushings). As for the power steering, they said that the rack is going out, and possibly the pump. They can change out the rack, but weren't sure of the cost (as it was too late to get parts estimates). As for the pump, they can't do it, because of the intake manifold and coolant hoses.

They also said that some of the wheel bearings are getting loose, and need to be repacked. Total bill, if I have them do everything (aside from the pump) around $1,300.00.

I'm guessing about $300 for the rack, so it could be more or less.

So now it's a matter of saving the money to get it done...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I do think the cold weather had something to do with it also. Today, the temps were around 10-20, and I didn't have any real issues (other than the occasional squeal when I turned the wheels).

Have a great day.
Patrick.