Advertisements
Vibration @ 3100rpm

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2014, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Vibration @ 3100rpm

Have and '02 PT Limited with 2.4l manual. Just replaced both half shafts, both o2 sensors, upper swaybar bushings, shift cable bushings, and MAP sensor, all with stock OEM parts. This fixed all the issues I was having. Now it developed a buzzing vibration that starts at exactly 3100rpm and tapers off to 3500rpm. It does it more after the engine is warmed up and only under light to medium throttle in every gear/ any speed and when down shifting. Doesn't do it as much when the engine is cold, or under heavy/ full throttle, quits when the clutch is depressed. So I hooked up the scantool and no misfires or codes. Mode$06 says: O2 sensor low voltage b1s2, and O2 heater trent counter b1s2. New sensors so I think the drive cycles just haven't been completed yet as the datastream from them checks out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 05:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration @ 3100rpm

can it be your tires? Maybe you could try to rotate the tire. It can't hurt.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 01 Mar 2014, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Motor mounts? Since it goes away when clutch is depressed....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Mar 2014, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think it's the tires, they're new and it goes away when the clutch is depressed.

I've checked 2 of the motor mounts thinking the vibration may have been caused by them flexing under acceleration, but it happens at exactly 3100 in every gear, up hill, down hill, car full of people, empty, around corners, etc. And the more the gas pedal is depress the less it vibrates, WOT it doesn't do it at all. And anything below 3100 doesn't do it at all. It did have a rough idle before the MAP, and O2 sensors, and loud popping from the CV axles and swaybar bushings.

Maybe fuel pressure regulator, crank sensor, knock sensor? These all checked out on the scantool but might I be getting a false negative on these problems?

It feels like fuel cut-off on a turbo car (it's NA) and is more of a buzz-like vibration that changes pitch with the RPM and is felt mostly through the steering wheel and pedals.

Last edited by BrettH8sU; 01 Mar 2014 at 09:14 pm. Reason: clarification of which pedal
Old 01 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Vibration @ 3100rpm

Is it possible that when you replaced the half-shafts,maybe everything didn't get seated with the driveaxle properly......Like the a snap-ring not seating in the gear groove totally?
Old 01 Mar 2014, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Triple checked the half-shafts, even tried pulling them back out with a prybar, they are FIRMLY in place.
Old 02 Mar 2014, 12:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Did you remove the flex plate cover and look at the flywheel? Might be a good next step. Maybe a flywheel/flexplate bolt backed out and when you press the clutch, the pressure from the throw out bearing pushes it back in place. Loose flex plate bolts and cracked flex plates have been mentioned here before. This car has no pilot bearing so I think this would make sense to check.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 03:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Brett; I agree with Quick. And also have the 4.7xx upper strut dimension redone per manual.