Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine(oil) Additives(treatments)

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2014, 09:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default Engine(oil) Additives(treatments)

Okay, PT Cruiser gearheads. With all the products out there claiming better performance, fuel economy, and protection in your engine. Which one is really worth the money? In the past I've tried all the big brands in the last 20 years. Most recently Protecta(SFR Corp)Synthetic Engine Treatment with some modest improvement. Been reading up on this Liqui Molly(German made) product. Claims to create a barrier on the metal thus less friction. I've had several respectable mechanics claim Lucas oil stabilizer. Most car manuals state adding anything else with a good oil is not necessary. I always use a synthetic blend high mileage oil in my changes usually 10w-30, eventhough 5w-30 is recommended. Any thoughts on this topic?
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine(oil) Additives(treatments)

99% of them are snake oil. If you have an injector problem, a good injector cleaner might help, can't hurt. Had a new Saturn back in the days and when i took it in while still under warranty for an oil change, they always threw in a bottle of injector cleaner (probably to jack up the bottom line). I'll let other speak for anything they've tried.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe we should get out resident retired Chemist and PT owner to post some information.
He also has some good price on chemicals and even parts! Truly!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Spend your money on full synthetic.
I have never seen a "blend" that says how much synthetic oil is in it - 2 drops?
Clearly, synthetic oil is better, so get full synthetic and save the money for additives.
garkeller likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

All oils have a specifications and operating values. By looking up the supplier information you can read such things as ash content and flash point numbers to name only a couple things. So many synthetic blends work very well and should be not be discredited or discounted as a possible choice of use.

Now where is our chemist!! WE all could us his expertise here!

Help me out here please. Was it Gold2006???

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

auh, found it....

AMSOIL/NGK/Wix/Mann/Donaldson/Mother's/TRICO wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold2006 View Post
Hi all!

I'm new here and joined to learn about my new to me 2006 PT Cruiser.

I'm also a retired Shell Oil Chemist and have been an AMSOIL Premier Direct Jobber for the past 9 years and can offer lubricant/filtration advice and AMSOIL/NGK/Wix/Mann/Donaldson/Mother's/Trico products at wholesale if anyone is interested. Products can be shipped to you or picked up at a dozen warehouses in the US and Canada. Let me know what I can do for you.

Thank you!
AMSOIL/NGK/Wix/Mann/Donaldson/Mother's/TRICO wholesale

Hello from Deland, FL!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully the "chemist" (Gold2006) will clarify the difference but from what I've read (do we trust the Internet?), I'll stick to full synthetic in all me cars.

What is the difference between synthetic oil and synthetic blend oil?

A fully synthetic oil is made to provide a much purer base oil, with less waxes and with a uniform ideal particle size to help increase the oils viscosity level. Added to this ideal base oil is a combination of more technically sophisticated additives than are used with the conventional oils.

Semi-synthetic oils are an alternative to buying a pure synthetic oil. These combine a certain quantity of synthetic base oil with a conventional base oil in order to provide a high quality oil which can be used to gain some of the protection benefits of a fully synthetic for slightly older vehicles. However semi-synthetic engine oils do not typically include all the synthetic oil's advanced additives.

BTW: Gold2006 was last on the forum Yesterday so hopefully he will see this thread. I'll drop him a PM.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Mar 2014 at 11:53 am.
Old 02 Mar 2014, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually there is a Federally avalible informational about engine oils distributed in the US. So I would trust that source as it is checked for integrity by an independent laboratory.
Maybe Gold2006 can explain further? My list is a few years old now but never the less it shows that a couple of syn. blends have some very good ratings.

I sent Gold2006 a PM

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi guys,

No auto manufactures and hardly any motor oil companies recommend motor oil additives.

1. There is no need. Motor oils are fully formulated and tested.
2. The oil will likely no longer meet API specifications and would have to be recertified.
3. If it caused a problem it would likely void the vehicle and oil companies warranties.
4. It could be incompatible with the base oils and/or additives making some properties worse.

If you are concerned about your oils performance, have the used oil analyzed and step up to a better oil if desired.
Hope this helps.
Old 02 Mar 2014, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations on the choice between synthetic blend and full synthetic oil?