PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Passenger Airbag warning

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2014, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Passenger Airbag warning

Hello, so I have done alittle bit of research on this, but im still not 100% sure.

I have a 2007 PT cruiser. The problem is that when a passenger sits in the passenger seat and buckles up, I get an airbag warning that occasionally beeps.

I have been lead to believe it is something in the seat or belt buckle plugin. I have no garage and it has been -20 or so this winter, so I can't really take the seat out or poke around much lately. My father has a garage that I should be able to use once it warms up a bit.

I am wondering what my next step should be. We tried to check for codes, but couldnt find anything. I am also not even sure what part would need replacing in the seat/buckle (if that is the source)

Sorry if I can't provide much information.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Passenger Airbag warning

No replies? But searching it seems alot of people are having this problem, but I have not really seen a fix besides the standard "take it to the dealer and spend a ton of money!"

Basically, if I buckle the passenger buckle, whether someone is in there or not, the passenger airbag light comes on on the dash and beeps every once in a while. The horn DOES work, btw.

In the Spring I checked the thing with a scan tool, but nothing came up at all.

I am thinking it is a seat belt position sensor...thingy or the seat belt clip assembly.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 05:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know if the seatbelt is tied into the airbag system or not but I do know that there have been quite a bit of issues with the weight sensing assembly under the seat. I would check the connections under the seat and go from there.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
I don't know if the seatbelt is tied into the airbag system or not but I do know that there have been quite a bit of issues with the weight sensing assembly under the seat. I would check the connections under the seat and go from there.
Thank you for the reply.

Weight does not seem to be an issue, as it chimes even when no one is in the seat (but it is buckled).

From my research it is the seat belt receiver (the "female" part). I havent tried to get a code for that bit yet.

I just need to try to find a part number for it.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the bump again.

I am 95% sure it is the Passenger seat belt assembly. The "female" part of the seat belt.

If i just plug it in, the airbag light will chime on and off. BUT! If i..manipulate it a little bit, like pushing it forward/down a bit. it will not go on. I cannot take the seat out at this time, and it is pretty darn tough to see it since the start is housed around in the plastic runners around the seat.

My test was basically driving around the block, first holding the buckle in the position. I had no airbag chime or light. Then not holding it, and letting it naturally be where it is. THe airbag light was on and chimed. Then a third time repeating the first one, same outcome. No light or chime.

It may be as simple a fix as poking the wire, or maybe just replacing it.

A question though. What plugs into the car from the seat to achieve this? I try to look under there, and I cant really notice any wires connecting to the floor or center console of the car to the seat.
Old 28 May 2015, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How did you ever resolve this airbag sensor/seat belt issue??? I have the same exact problem.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just bought a 2008 base model PT Cruiser on 7/13/15. It has 76k miles.

Was there any progress on finding out what is causing the airbag alert? and furthermore, fixing it?
I too have the dreaded airbag red light/chime come on when the passenger seat belt is buckled. It comes on whether the seat is occupied or not--just buckle it and on comes the light and the lovely chime.
It does not come on when I hold pressure on it when buckling.

I can trick it--It does not come on when I switch the driver and passenger seat belts (not sure how safe that is). It is probably unsafe to drive it like that I supppose but I don't want to shell out hundreds of more dollars on it.

The airbag self disable system works. When I have weight on the seat, the amber light comes on next to the hazard light. Manipulating the steering wheel airbag has no affect on the light. It all seems related to a switch inside the passenger female/receiver buckle or the passenger buckle.
Any info would be greatly appreaciated.
~~Paul C.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 10:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you check out the seat belt clips. Get a vacuum cleaner and try to clean it out. If you have a compressor, blow air into it to try to clean it. If that doesn't do it take some small 4 mm pipe cleaners, soak them in alcohol and used them to clean out the clip side. After cleaning it, then blow the heck out of it with the compressor.

Some members have done this and it worked !!!

If that is not the problem then you might have a broken wire under the seat. Take an ohm meter and wriggle the wires to see if they have a break in it.

If you know of someone that has a Scan Tool to read the codes for the air bag the information below might help you.

Trouble Codes for the Occupant Restraint System

The Occupant Restraint System contains three modules ORC, Left SIACM and Right SIACM (If equipped with SIACM) that store active and
stored DTC's.

Some DTC's will require replacing the implicated module. Other DTC's will require some Diagnostic procedures to determine
defective components.

For these codes, replace the implicated module. Check the wiring, contacts and fuses before considering to replace any modules.

Occupant Restraint Controller:
ORC Accelerometer
ORC Firing Stored Energy
ORC Internal #1
ORC Internal #2
ORC Output Driver #1
ORC Output Driver #2

Left Side Impact Airbag Control Module:
Left SIACM Accelerometer #1
Left SIACM Accelerometer #2
Left SIACM Internal #1
Left SIACM Output Driver #1

Right Side Impact Airbag Control Module:
Right SIACM Accelerometer #1
Right SIACM Accelerometer #2
Right SIACM Internal #1
Right SIACM Output Driver #1

For these codes, refer to the table of contents procedure:
ORC, Calibration Mismatch
ORC, Cluster Message Mismatch
ORC, Driver Squib #1 Circuit Open
ORC, Driver Squib #1 Circuit Shorted
ORC, Driver Squib #1 Circuit Shorted To Battery
ORC, Driver Squib #1 Circuit Shorted To Ground
ORC, Loss of Ignition Run Only
ORC, Loss of Ignition Run/Start
ORC, Loss of Ignition Run/Start w/SIACM
ORC, No Cluster Messages
ORC, No Odometer Messages

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Jul 2015 at 10:52 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2015, 05:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have exactly the same issue with my 2007 sounding the occasional passenger airbag warning...more often with someone sitting in the right seat, but also sometimes w/o. I can connect the seat belt, press it hard down into the receiver and it stops. But it's odd that only the airbag warning sounds...if it's a seatbelt issue, why aren't we getting a seatbelt warning, too?
Old 09 Aug 2015, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem with my 08 while it was still under extended warranty. The dealership replaced the passenger side seat belt buckle- front inner. p/n ZF361K5AD. It fixed the problem. The dealership price was $68.00 but can be found much cheaper than that on line.

The problem I had was that they had to remove the front seat to do the job and the hack mechanic evidently did not have or know what a torques bit is and it looks like he tried to remove one of the special rear attach bolts with a Allen head bit and stripped it out. (I think it is a #55 Torques bit). To make matters worse, the parts department could not find the part number for the bolt. Sounds like a 2nd gen thing. Looks like he put it back in with a pair of vice grips.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.