PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No head or tail lights or locks and no codes

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2014, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question No head or tail lights or locks and no codes

I believe it may have started just over a year ago when my fog lights wouldnt shut off and kept coming on by themselves. Since it was draining my battery we pulled the fuse. THAT was a mistake since its the same fuse for the low radiator fan which meant we kept overheating. So we put that back and just pulled the bulbs. My fog light indicator would flicker if I jiggled the multifunction switch and stayed on in my instrument cluster but it worked for then. Now, when I accelerate or brake quickly my cluster displays my brake light for a bit.
Few days ago after losing the headlights, we replaced the multifunction switch after checking all the fuses and relays but they were all fine, and the switch made no difference. Did both ODBs but they only said the ol battery unhooked thing in last 50 cycles. Took it to store and let them hook it up and it didnt give ANY codes. Had one tell me need a new body control module and to just get a whole new instrument cluster. Another says it a ground. Also heard need new neg battery cable.
Here is my most recent list of whats wrong .....
I have NO HEADLIGHTS, yet I have blinkers and hazards.
I have NO TAIL LIGHTS or LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS, but have brake, reverse, hazards, blinkers.
I have NO POWER LOCKS, but have remote keyless entry that makes a clicking noise in the center of my dash when I click the remote.
I have NO ELECTRIC SEATS but they are still heated.
Dome, vanity, courtesy, cargo and console lights are fine.
No problems with my cruise control, wipers (front and back and defrost), electric mirrors, or power windows.
My next step I guess is to get out the diagrams to see where all these things link up if at all and start chasing the wires. Maybe a ground or worn wire or loose connection? Hopefully theres an easier fix for this than that. Its pretty hairy for someone not familiar with this process so Id EXTREMELY appreciate any solutions, shortcuts, tips or advice on the matter. The mista CREWZIN rode in and saved my day the last time when nobody else was EVEN CLOSE to solving my previous dilemna so Im hoping this time will go as good as then.

Im desperately needing lights since we commute an hour to and from work and it gets really dark on our way home afterwards. Pulling up to the house with only our hazards is something I never want to do again.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 01:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No head or tail lights or locks and no codes

Please tell what year cruiser. Such things do matter.

If it is 2006 or newer, I will not spend any time trying to track down electrical schematics for non-existent answers.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 03:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Its a 2002
Old 03 Mar 2014, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The last time you were here, you said you didn't have a remote for your PT and now your saying the RKE is only making a clicking sound when you hit the remote.

Have you had a remote keyless entry put in your car from a dealer or aftermarket place?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 09:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check the big connector above your left foot for melting.
ByYojo likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 10:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

this is the connector:

here you can read about this happening to me:
can't see the road!

sounds exactly like what i described. -it's a fun position to solder in.
ByYojo likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for giving me something definitive to look for. Ill go check that right away! Not looking forward to looking for something I dont know what Im looking for, if ya know what I mean. Ill let you know how it goes.

And I cant recall mentioning locks before but its possible. Ive had to do so much since I first got this car im thinking ill have a completely brand new car before long! But Ive always had RKE. Did have issues with sentry key at one time but thats fixed.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OMGosh!!! There is a very crispy critter in there thats red with a white stripe. Gonna look up what that might be.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByYojo View Post
OMGosh!!! There is a very crispy critter in there thats red with a white stripe. Gonna look up what that might be.
sweet. it's about the cheapest fix there is (:

just cut it off at both ends of the connector and solder/heatshrink it. you should not add wire or connectors. i needed to use paste flux because the wire is so thick and hard to reach.

2 wires were melted on mine. you can see both in my pic
ByYojo likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 03 Mar 2014 at 12:24 pm.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Mar 2014 at 12:32 pm.

Tags
body control module, grounds, headlights, wiring