PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Control arm bushings

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2014, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Control arm bushings

Hi, I have a 05 cruiser with 128xxx has the 2.4 non turbo. I replaced the control arms in both sides last summer because the bushings were bad and new bushings were $46 and to have the pressed in was $50 each side so do the math might as well just get a new arm right. Well just got new tires on it and the shop told me my bushings need to be replaced. I was like what the heck I just replaced those last summer, he told me that the cruisers are hard on bushings. Is this something I can expect every couple of years or is there a bushing that does not fall apart after a year. The guy told me to buy Moog. I am currently looking around and found some that dont have to pressed in that you kinda put them together in the place of the old one. They are call Energy Suspension bushings. I just want something that will last...maybe I went cheep the first go round.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 04:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Control arm bushings

I would check out moog, or energy suspension bushings.

I have the same issue, replaced my arms with joints and bushings last febuary of 13. Had it re-inspected last month and low and behold...........they're shot. Turns out most bushings just suck to begin with. However I've put moog in almost everything else and have had zero issues. energy suspension are supposed to be top notch as well
Old 03 Mar 2014, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First off $50. Each to press in is a crime. Now there is a new problem solver bushing. Do a search of new new LCA bushings. And you should see the thread. The should be the last ones you need.
767skyking and rcktpwrd like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Mar 2014, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've got a 2006 PT with 147k miles on it. I bought the car new, and to date have had 6 sets of lower control arm bushings on the car. That's roughly one set every year to year and a half. I've tried Moog, Mopar, Napa... etc. Nothing seems to last for me. Good luck!
Old 03 Mar 2014, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoplanman View Post
I've got a 2006 PT with 147k miles on it. I bought the car new, and to date have had 6 sets of lower control arm bushings on the car. That's roughly one set every year to year and a half. I've tried Moog, Mopar, Napa... etc. Nothing seems to last for me. Good luck!
Like I said there is a new design out. I would post a link but I'm on my phone and not that savvy with it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Mar 2014, 06:13 pm
Banned

Part of the problem with the bushings wearing out so fast may be with the orientation of the OEM style vertical bushing in the arm. I purchased new MOOG lower control arms and took them to my Chrysler dealership for installation. The tech that has worked on my vehicle, several times now for the last 2 years that I have been using this dealership, has 35+ years of suspension work at this one dealership. I kind of trust that he knows what he is doing, or he probably wouldn't be there for that long. When he saw the arms, he said that the vertical bushing is not installed correctly. In the first two pics below, you can see a notch in the metal collar of the bushing, it is at about the 2 o'clock position. If left in this orientation, it would create sort of a "tearing" action on the webs of the bushings. He removed the bushings (no extra charge) and reorieinted the slot at about the 12 o'clock position. This then puts the vertical bushing in line with the horizontal bushing at the front of the arm, and the bushing would then flex in the slots and pivot on the webs. But with the new MOOG "problem solver" bushing, third pic below, no orientation is necessary as it is a ball & socket type joint!

MOOG "Problem Solver" Bushing:
randyincctx likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Mar 2014 at 06:15 pm.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 06:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyinboxers View Post
The guy told me to buy Moog. I am currently looking around and found some that dont have to pressed in that you kinda put them together in the place of the old one. They are call Energy Suspension bushings. I just want something that will last...maybe I went cheep the first go round.
If your looking for some that don't have to be pressed in,you really should consider getting the whole assembly by Moog,they cost less (about $50-$60 +/- w/free shipping) than you paid last time and last longer than Energy Suspension bushings,according to alot of members here:
Driver Side Control Arm Assembly (Moog #RK620009)-
Moog RK620009 Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly | eBay

Passenger Side Control Arm Assembly (Moog #RK620010)-
Moog RK620010 Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly Front Right Lower | eBay

If you buy all the bushings,and balljoints seperately,then have to have them pressed....It'll cost you as much or more than those Moog assemblies I just posted.
Food for thought?...
rckstein likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 06:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
If your looking for some that don't have to be pressed in,you really should consider getting the whole assembly by Moog,they cost less (about $50-$60 +/- w/free shipping) than you paid last time and last longer than Energy Suspension bushings,according to alot of members here:
Driver Side Control Arm Assembly (Moog #RK620009)-
Moog RK620009 Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly | eBay

Passenger Side Control Arm Assembly (Moog #RK620010)-
Moog RK620010 Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly Front Right Lower | eBay

If you buy all the bushings,and balljoints seperately,then have to have them pressed....It'll cost you as much or more than those Moog assemblies I just posted.
Food for thought?...
That's exactly why I bought new complete arm assemblies! Got all new components and it was much easier for the tech to replace than rework old arms! You probably won't find any arms yet with their new "problem solver" bushing, they're probably not in the supply chain yet until they go through all the old arms with their old style bushing.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Mar 2014 at 06:33 pm.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 06:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoplanman View Post
Have you replaced these bushings yourself, or had them done at a shop? Not to put down any shops, but several years ago the first dealership that I was dealing with on LCA bushings I think may have taken me for a ride on bushing replacement. They called me out to the shop and showed me the bushings on my vehicle. Of course, under the vehicle and with a trouble light and me not knowing really what I was looking at when I saw the "slots" in the rubber, and the bushings are all dirty and the metal collar rusty, I think that I was duped into believing that the bushings were shot, when in fact I was actually looking at the slots that are molded into the rubber of the bushing! Just something to keep in mind if you if you kind of get a bad feeling about the shop that your dealing with.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If in doubt you need them. Take a picture from behind your tire and post them up. We can tell you. Pretty obvious when there bad.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com