PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 10:58 pm
Banned

Default Re: Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Some people should continue to learn about new things and not settle for what they once knew as absolute! :rolleyes
I stand by everything In my post concerning the possability of damaging the TCM.

Speaking of old and new knowledge, I'm working on a couple new threads that I should have up in just a few days. I know you'll love them---well maybe not so much.

Oh and

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 05 Mar 2014 at 11:02 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I did not mention you in my response Jerry.

I actually alway like your threads. You may forgotten you were my mentor here with PT's!
767skyking likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Mar 2014, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I thought my point was very clear----It's very possable to inadvertently damage the TCM itself if the installer doesn't follow proper precautions when installing the unit. That was the section imediately following the #6 that had the large arrow pointing to it and starts with the word ---CAUTION---. I would have thought that would be hard to miss. Mental note to self--use larger arrows.

IF you followed the instructions then you should be fine.

Jerry
Yes, I followed the instructions, feel confident that nothing happened there. I was just confused what exactly you meant with the good to bad things. Well, reading it now again I think I understood :P

And, that is more a general note, I am always very skeptical on how easy one can damage electrical equipment with electrostatics. I did build a couple of pcs and also did some electronics and never hand any issues. I guess it is mainly precaution for a very unlikely case that it actually happens. Even if you happen to put a spark onto the TCM, the metal case is most likely shielding it anyways...
Old 06 Mar 2014, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommifx View Post
Yes, I followed the instructions, feel confident that nothing happened there. I was just confused what exactly you meant with the good to bad things. Well, reading it now again I think I understood :P

And, that is more a general note, I am always very skeptical on how easy one can damage electrical equipment with electrostatics. I did build a couple of pcs and also did some electronics and never hand any issues. I guess it is mainly precaution for a very unlikely case that it actually happens. Even if you happen to put a spark onto the TCM, the metal case is most likely shielding it anyways...
Actually static electricity is a very real issue. You can actually damage a component and not see the results for some time. You can shorten the life of a component. Remember companies are tight as a general rule. The wouldn't spend the money to prevent it if they didn't need to.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Mar 2014, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Actually static electricity is a very real issue. You can actually damage a component and not see the results for some time. You can shorten the life of a component. Remember companies are tight as a general rule. The wouldn't spend the money to prevent it if they didn't need to.
Very true Danny but in the case of most PCM,ECU etc., you seldom see warnings or cautions with this regard because the case and components are generally protected. Many ECU re-builders years ago would have a RED tag with a wire twist tie(I know a little antenna for attraction of static charge) attached to their units when they were sold. But I do not see that anymore, not to say that there may be some still using the practice of those kinds of warnings to their products? If it were of great concern for warranty coverage I am sure we would see mention of it?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Mar 2014, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Quote:
Very true Danny but in the case of most PCM,ECU etc., you seldom see warnings or cautions with this regard because the case and components are generally protected. Many ECU re-builders years ago would have a RED tag with a wire twist tie(I know a little antenna for attraction of static charge) attached to their units when they were sold. But I do not see that anymore, not to say that there may be some still using the practice of those kinds of warnings to their products? If it were of great concern for warranty coverage I am sure we would see mention of it?
I was manly addressing the general electronic part of his statement. I agree with you on the unlikely hood of anything like that with this part. We have to remember these are media blasted as a unit in the rebuild process. To pretty them up. If that didn't cause an issue with static. Then you can say, No worrys.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Mar 2014, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most companies that rebuild the Automotive ECUs will remove the soft core that houses and protects the electronic's to "beautify" the cast housing.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Mar 2014, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Most companies that rebuild the Automotive ECUs will remove the soft core that houses and protects the electronic's to "beautify" the cast housing.
Not on these they don't. Only if the need to get to the back side to make the repair. They fix them in the case. It's to labor intensive to remove to just clean the case. Flight systems even charges more money if they have to remove to repair the pcm. I also removed the cover on the one I got and found some abrasive that had blown into the case.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Mar 2014, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

everybody cuts corners anymore
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
solenoid, tcm, transmission