PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?

Hi,

so first of all, I have to say I am impressed by the forum. I had some issues with my PT Cruiser (2002, touring, automatic) and usually this forum had all the information that I needed. That was pretty impressive and really helpful!

I now searched a bit, but did not find a specific answer for my current problem (why is there always something wrong with the car?....):

A couple of weeks a ago I changed the TCM module (had the errorcode p0605). Check engine light went away and no error codes are present in the car. However, sometimes now the shift into the first gear is rough and the car does shake a little. It does not happen all the time and I could not find a pattern. This started right after I changed the TCM. Right after there were a couple of more violent shifts and I think they were bit more frequent. Prior to that I never had issues with shifting gears.

As I bought the TCM from carcomputerexchange, I asked them, and they said that I should change the solenoid pack for the transmission. I am now a little bit skeptical as this really could be the issue. In particular given that it shifted fine before the TCM went bad.

Any opinions? Would this be a logical step to do or is it more likely that the TCM is not working 100% properly?

Any advice/thoughts would be really great!
Thanks,
Thomas
Old 05 Mar 2014, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?

If your were generalizing and not personalizing your mechanical condition, not everybody has problems with their PT's, all the time!

The solenoid pack is mostly likely not been updated and if you have not regularly changed out the fluid and filter there may be a varnish on the solenoids which is causing them to stick. IMO take the advise of the experts and change out the pack and while you are there the fluid and filter.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Mar 2014 at 03:09 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes yes, not wanna go into detail of my late PTC issues...

Well, the reason I am not trusting the "experts" so much in that case (well don't trust them in general, but that is another issue) is that they have an interest that they do not have to replace the TCM again, so I suppose they will try to convince me that everything but the TCM is bad. Well, but maybe they are right.

On a related note - I am going for a trip on the weekend, will be ~600 miles, I guess I still could risk it driving? I got stuck once now with a broken car, not really keen to redo that....

Thanks, for the welcome, you are the best
Old 05 Mar 2014, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You assumed when I said "expert" I was referring to the shop you purchased you TCM from!

IMO I would at least change your fluid and filter before adding to many more miles on a questionable mechanical condition.. It is easy enough to do and semi inexpensive. You may also want to get a bottle of fluid conditioner as well?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Mar 2014, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hehe, well that was the only one that might have been close to something like an expert, hence....

Currently, I am not sure if my Cruiser will ever make it out of the state of 'questionable mechanical condition'....

How much would that change roughly be?
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:33 pm
Banned

Read the following instructions in section #6 below---twice. Did you or they follow these procedures correctly? If not you may have started the replacement procedure using a "good" TCM to replace the apparently "bad" one, but you probably didn't finish with one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Jerry
Old 05 Mar 2014, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommifx View Post
hehe, well that was the only one that might have been close to something like an expert, hence....

Currently, I am not sure if my Cruiser will ever make it out of the state of 'questionable mechanical condition'....

How much would that change roughly be?
A "flush" of your transmission with a filter change by a place with a flushing machine runs about $200 - be sure that all that is used is ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Mar 2014, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some people should continue to learn about new things and not settle for what they once knew as absolute!

PLEASE NOTE!

This module is PLUG-and-PLAY. No Need To Visit the Dealer! Comes With 1 Year Warranty!
2002 02 Chrysler PT Cruiser ECU ECM PCM engine computer engine control module brain box

Many ecu, tcm, pcm, etc., from re-builders have the ability to load the appropriate information into the units so the need to go to a dealer and spend more money not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
A "flush" of your transmission with a filter change by a place with a flushing machine runs about $200 - be sure that all that is used is ATF + 4.

^^Don this is good info and generally I would also recommend it but in this case I sense the need for inexpensive and something that easily and affordable be accomplished now?

To be taken into consideration it is not necessary get a transmission flushed unless you have discolored fluid or during the filter change find unusual amounts of copper or aluminum in the pan.
A simple 45 minute DIY driveway transmission service will generally do the trick.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Read the following instructions in section #6 below---twice. Did you or they follow these procedures correctly? If not you may have started the replacement procedure using a "good" TCM to replace the apparently "bad" one, but you probably didn't finish with one.
Jerry
Not quite what your point is, but I had the correctly programmed one, so I guess it should be fine. Apart from that I followed the instructions, I guess there is not much you can do wrong there....

I checked the tranny fluid and this seems pretty clean, no dirt and fully transparent....
So transmission fluid change and I'll also order the solenoids, seems also a thing you can do yourself.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommifx View Post
Not quite what your point is, but I had the correctly programmed one, so I guess it should be fine. Apart from that I followed the instructions, I guess there is not much you can do wrong there....

I checked the tranny fluid and this seems pretty clean, no dirt and fully transparent....
So transmission fluid change and I'll also order the solenoids, seems also a thing you can do yourself.
I thought my point was very clear----It's very possable to inadvertently damage the TCM itself if the installer doesn't follow proper precautions when installing the unit. That was the section imediately following the #6 that had the large arrow pointing to it and starts with the word ---CAUTION---. I would have thought that would be hard to miss. Mental note to self--use larger arrows.

IF you followed the instructions then you should be fine.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 05 Mar 2014 at 11:09 pm.

Tags
solenoid, tcm, transmission