PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 04:49 pm
soonercruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,851
Red face Some......IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

So, today it's a little cold and damp, and I decide to use the warm garage to install a fresh set of Bosch wires and Champion plugs in the 200 Dream Cruiser GT convertible.

First of all let me say...getting to that driver side bolt that holds the back end of the air intake is a pure BITC*! Not to offend any dogs out there. (And I did drop one bolt somewhere I never found....lucky I had a box full of odds and ends from past Cruisers).

When I had the 2006 GT vert Black Sheep, everything was going well at 29K, and I didn't put much over 10K on her before I traded up....so I didn't have to change the plugs & wires.

I should have known from some of the past services being done by this previous female owner's "shop", that I was in for a challenge.
Despite warming the engine a little, and a good spray of WD40, and some gentle hammer "bumps"....it took everything I had short of hammer blows to free up the plugs!
The wires were some off brand that I couldn't even find on Google....."Max Performance."
ANDDDDD...the plugs (Champion RE14MCCS), even though they didn't look bad at all, were gapped from .062-.075!

This makes me think ....that some of the worries about wires and spark plug gap aren't all that critical for "day drivers"! As, the car had been driving and accelerating fine; no missing or hesitation.
- Now, admitted, some of that gap could have been erosion of the electrode....but they looked pretty darn clean. (Prev owner had no service records of plugs & wires being changed)
- My guess is the computer can adjust the firing after a period of time.


garkeller likes this.
__________________
Frank, aka SOONERCRUISER,

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 09 Mar 2014 at 02:05 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 05:44 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

didnt know Chrysler made a 200 Dream Cruiser.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 06:01 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 264
Default Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
So, today it's a little cold and damp, and I decide to use the warm garage to install a fresh set of Bosch wires and Champion plugs in the 200 Dream Cruiser GT convertible.

First of all let me say...getting to that driver side bolt that holds the back end of the air intake is a pure BITC*! Not to offend any dogs out there. (And I did drop one bolt somewhere I never found....lucky I had a box full of odds and ends from past Cruisers).

When I had the 2006 GT vert Black Sheep, everything was going well at 29K, and I didn't put much over 10K on her before I traded up....so I didn't have to change the plugs & wires.

I should have known from some of the past services being done by this previous female owner's "shop", that I was in for a challenge.
Despite warming the engine a little, and a good spray of WD40, and some gentle hammer "bumps"....it took everything I had short of hammer blows to free up the plugs!
The wires were some off brand that I couldn't even find on Google....."Max Performance."
ANDDDDD...the plugs (Champion RE14MCCS), even though they didn't look bad at all, were gapped from .062-.075!
Kind of curious what bolt you are talking about with the intake? Just hose clamps need to be loosened and the intake comes out. The entire airbox does not need to come out. Was this bolt to remove the airbox?
Congrats on the plug change! And that is a huge gap, wow! I thought mine were bad @.047. But the previous owner/shop put Platinums in a turbo car.
Haha my wires said max performance too. I too went with the Bosch wires. I bet she runs great now.
__________________
1999 Dodge Neon Coupe. DOHC 5 speed
2005 Crossfire SRT-6
2005 PT Cruiser GT 5 speed. 1 of 21 (SOLD)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 06:38 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Hope you put a tiny dab of anti-seize on the plug threads....
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 07:58 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,791
Default Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Hmm.................. I think you could have used a better thread title?

Frank my friend


quote:

(Prev owner had no service records of plugs & wires being changed)


sorry but the dog might not be offended but..........


__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,485
Question Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
The wires were some off brand that I couldn't even find on Google....."Max Performance."
Are you sure it wasn't 'Maxx Performance' with two Xs?-KOOLBLUE.COM
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 10:31 pm
soonercruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,851
Red face Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
Kind of curious what bolt you are talking about with the intake? Just hose clamps need to be loosened and the intake comes out. The entire airbox does not need to come out. Was this bolt to remove the airbox?
Congrats on the plug change! And that is a huge gap, wow! I thought mine were bad @.047. But the previous owner/shop put Platinums in a turbo car.
Haha my wires said max performance too. I too went with the Bosch wires. I bet she runs great now.
There was a black, glossy vertical plate on the back of the engine, that had two holes, and two bolts in it from the back end of the plastic intake runner.

More work than I expected.
But, again I guess I save some $$ for mods.
(Working on one right now)
__________________
Frank, aka SOONERCRUISER,

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm
soonercruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,851
Default Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Are you sure it wasn't 'Maxx Performance' with two Xs?-KOOLBLUE.COM
You could be correct Randy...
__________________
Frank, aka SOONERCRUISER,

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 10:34 pm
soonercruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,851
Red face Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
didnt know Chrysler made a 200 Dream Cruiser.
Leave it to Busa, to be "Busa"!
"Yes, teacher"!
Busa_Powered likes this.
__________________
Frank, aka SOONERCRUISER,

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm
soonercruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,851
Talking Re: IGNORANT AUTO TECHNICIANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hmm.................. I think you could have used a better thread title?

Frank my friend


quote:

(Prev owner had no service records of plugs & wires being changed)


sorry but the dog might not be offended but..........


I figured that someone on the Forum would take offense.
But, I didn't mean to offend the good, knowledgeable auto technicians.
You didn't feel any "personal" guilt, did you?????
red06limited likes this.
__________________
Frank, aka SOONERCRUISER,

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is AUTO ATX? HotPinkCricket Tech & Performance Forum 2 01 Feb 2012 05:32 am
2004 Auto S-1 PCM TallahasseeGT Classifieds: Want To Buy 6 26 Aug 2011 03:30 pm
LSD for Auto's OurPTGT Tech & Performance Forum 10 25 Oct 2004 06:07 pm
Auto Stick stirfry General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 27 Mar 2004 08:01 am
Changing a auto to a auto stick?? 03_PT Tech & Performance Forum 21 26 Mar 2004 08:16 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors