Advertisements
Drop In Air Filters - Revisited

Like Tree7Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2014, 11:13 am
Banned

Default Drop In Air Filters - Revisited

With the permission of CREWZIN, this topic is being revisited, but hopefully it won't get as heated as the first thread.

I have an '06 Touring Edition, and I'm probably one of the most easily influenced individuals, if somebody says something is good, I may try it. In the original thread on this topic, much was brought up about the AMSOIL air filter. I personally have never tried any of their products and they may be perfectly fine, I just don't have any personal experience with them. I may have considered an AMSOIL air filter for my PT, however, after searching their website, I discovered that they don't make their "Nanofiber technology" air filter for the PT's, see the below links to their website product info. For the GEN 1 PT's, all they have listed is a WIX filter which anyone can purchase from any number of sources. For the GEN 2 PT's, they have no air filter listed.

GEN 1:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...R+PT CRUISER+B

GEN 2:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...R+PT CRUISER+B

A while back, I learned my lesson when I tried to deviate from the stock spark plugs that are recommended for my vehicle. I won't do that again and I went back to the stock plugs and my vehicle runs just fine. I've had a K&N air filter in my vehicle for several years now, but for me, I am going back to a stock OEM air filter.

I don't have access to a lot of expensive testing equipment, so I can only go by what I see. Of the (3) filters that I have on hand, an OEM filter has (89) pleats, an STP filter has (58) pleats and the K&N filter has (33) pleats. The OEM looks a lot like a FRAM product, I don't know if FRAM makes them for MOPAR or not? There is also plenty of information on the internet on how FRAM air filters are crap. But the OEM filter does carry a Chrysler part number and I can be assured that it meets the manufacturers specs for my vehicle, and this is just my opinion.

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Mar 2014 at 12:42 am.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Drop In Air Filters - Revisted

I'm not sure if you heard that last part correctly. Without going through a lot of testing, the word got out that once FRAM was taken over by a foreign company, the oil filters started showing up with cheap (cardboard) inside covers and a lot less pleats that they used to have. There are quite a few U-tube videos on the Internet where a bunch of filters were cut open and FRAM didn't fair well when looked at from the inside out. That may not be scientific, but like you, I'm pretty easily influenced and since the stock MOPAR filter looked pretty good when cut open, I immediately switched and bought a case of the OEM filters.

Not sure of the FRAM air filters. I know what some are saying about K&N, but I've been using them for years and years without a problem on about every car I've ever owned if they made one for it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Drop In Air Filters - Revisited

This might be a good time to consider going a completely different way. Just follow this link.

The "Handy" Air Intake Mod

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Mar 2014 at 12:43 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Handy_Cruiser your air cleaner mod and choice of air filter to use on it for a PT Cruiser DD and high mileage engine is just as good as any Performance filter for your application and I imagine 99% of the members on this forum.

You know the funny thing is I have used since last year a gift given to me by a friend that has a generic of sorts oil cone filter. I have had my intake off at least a dozen times over the last years for various measuring and such for other projects. I cleaned the intake inside and out every time. Didn't really see any indication of anything other then the usual slight oil coating for the vaporized oil naturally pulled into the PT Cruises Inductive system And that oil was not dirty from any air born dirt filtering through my generic filter? Maybe it is because i use my K&N oil on it!

IMO filter choice oil filter or air filters boils down to how often you change them both and if you intend on driving normally in a high dust environment.

Carey I used a FRAM oil filter on my resent oil change!
California SMOG Testing the NITRO way

Gosch Handy you engine compartment look so much simpler and tidier compared to mine??

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Mar 2014 at 01:10 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Carey I used a FRAM oil filter on my resent oil change!

Lynn, your engine is gonna fall apart any minute now.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Gosch Handy you engine compartment look so much simpler and tidier compared to mine??
That's because my PT only has to accommodate one hamster running on a wheel while you have to make a home for two hamsters high on nitrous oxide under your hood.

The effects of continuous high level nitrogen dioxide on hamsters.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Mar 2014 at 02:49 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 07:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post

I have an '06 Touring Edition, and I'm probably one of the most easily influenced individuals, if somebody says something is good, I may try it. In the original thread on this topic, much was brought up about the AMSOIL air filter. I personally have never tried any of their products and they may be perfectly fine, I just don't have any personal experience with them. I may have considered an AMSOIL air filter for my PT, however, after searching their website, I discovered that they don't make their "Nanofiber technology" air filter for the PT's, see the below links to their website product info. For the GEN 1 Pt's, all they have listed is a WIX filter which anyone can purchase from any number of sources. For the GEN 2 PT's, they have no air filter listed.
I use the WIX drop in filter (wholesale price) in my 2006 Touring Edition and it works fine. Dry cellulose filters outperform wet gauze filters for filtration of fine dust particles. It tested 3rd best in the independent GM Central study http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...ter-study.html "You can see a huge variance between the filtration ability of the filters with the Amsoil doing exceptionally well, as well as the Napa, Wix, and others doing very well also, you’ll also see some doing poorly like the K&N, and Trueflow foam filter."

The AMSOIL Dry Nanofiber EaA Cone filters would be a great addition if you want to go that route. You get the same superior fine particle filtration offered in their panel filters. AMSOIL AMSOIL Ea Universal Air Induction Filters

Last edited by Gold2006; 10 Mar 2014 at 07:52 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold2006 View Post
I use the WIX drop in filter (wholesale price) in my 2006 Touring Edition and it works fine.
why can't you just respond like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and keep this thread light the way a couple of us are trying to?

so you want to start the BS again....? FINE

Carey aka CREWZIN I trust you have plenty thread locks?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Mar 2014 at 09:19 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
why can't you just respond like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and keep this thread light the way a couple are trying to?

so you want to start the BS again....? FINE

Carey aka CREWZIN I trust you have plenty thread locks?
His company doesn't even make a filter for our pt yet he still wants to say his is better. Fiction. Even he has to run someone elses.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2014, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
His company doesn't even make a filter for our pt yet he still wants to say his is better. Fiction. Even he has to run someone elses.

I check in with K&N today and not one person called them anywhere in the world asking questions about any of the posted information on the last thread about air filter's that got locked over the weekend!

I wonder why?

K&N Performance Air Filters, Air Intakes, & Oil Filters . knfilters

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread