Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2014, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Oil Leak?

Pretty sure I've got an oil leak, but it has been nearly impossible to find thus far! (No not because I'm TOTALLY car dumb) What has thrown me off is the fact that the oil is SLOWLY dripping by the drivers side front tire, and to my surprise I discovered yesterday that it's actually dripping off the transaxle pan, but I STILL can't figure out where it's originating from! Any ideas?! I would love to be able to figure this out and get it taken care of before I leave on the 22nd to make a 555 mile drive to go visit my mom!
Old 11 Mar 2014, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Leak?

Probably should have mentioned this is on an '01 Limited. Now I feel like a dork, I didn't realize I hadn't mentioned that till now, my bad lol.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 02:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well there is nothing on top of the axel so it is most likely leaking more to the center of the engina nd running down

How much oil is it leaking??? how offten do you have to add oil???
It could be a oil seding unit went bad
It could be a gasket went south
555 miles is what i drive in 5 trips to work so im not thinking thats a big deal just keep a eye on the oil and DO NOT RUN IT DRY----OR OVERFILL IT

Have you power washed the engin to get it clean so its easier to find the leak???
Old 11 Mar 2014, 03:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sure it's oil ? I had a bad transfer case gasket in that very spot . No biggie just an hour or so to replace and less than a hundred bucks or so. Lay down a white board of some type and double check the fluid. Plus if you turn the wheel all the way left, you can see the case, run your finger along the bottom, just might be the ticket
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
well there is nothing on top of the axel so it is most likely leaking more to the center of the engina nd running down

How much oil is it leaking??? how offten do you have to add oil???
It could be a oil seding unit went bad
It could be a gasket went south
555 miles is what i drive in 5 trips to work so im not thinking thats a big deal just keep a eye on the oil and DO NOT RUN IT DRY----OR OVERFILL IT

Have you power washed the engin to get it clean so its easier to find the leak???
It's not an extreme amount, I just noticed the leak about a week ago and when I checked the oil on Sunday it was maybe a half quart low. It drips after it's been running long enough to get warm. I haven't ever power washed the engine but I also don't have access to anything to do so, or would taking it to a car wash and using the sprayer do the trick? (Might sound like a silly question but I have NEVER power washed an engine lol)
Old 11 Mar 2014, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Sure it's oil ? I had a bad transfer case gasket in that very spot . No biggie just an hour or so to replace and less than a hundred bucks or so. Lay down a white board of some type and double check the fluid. Plus if you turn the wheel all the way left, you can see the case, run your finger along the bottom, just might be the ticket
I'm sure it's oil. When I checked to see exactly what the drips were coming off that pan I used a white paper towel and the oil is the only fluid low.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 05:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiWife View Post
It's not an extreme amount, I just noticed the leak about a week ago and when I checked the oil on Sunday it was maybe a half quart low. It drips after it's been running long enough to get warm. I haven't ever power washed the engine but I also don't have access to anything to do so, or would taking it to a car wash and using the sprayer do the trick? (Might sound like a silly question but I have NEVER power washed an engine lol)
IF you Do power wash the engine at one of those car washes make sure you cover the relays back against the firewall and maybe any other electrical connections you can see ..... hate to short something out , maybe use some baggies or plastic ... don't wash a HOT engine either
Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
IF you Do power wash the engine at one of those car washes make sure you cover the relays back against the firewall and maybe any other electrical connections you can see ..... hate to short something out , maybe use some baggies or plastic ... don't wash a HOT engine either
Lol, if my uncle taught me anything while growing up it was to never wash a hot engine . He's a car nut but being up in Indiana and me being in Arkansas it makes it hard for him to help me out lol. I have my husband but with as much as he works I take care of the house, kids, shopping, car, etc., and I usually don't have a problem getting a car issue pin pointed and taken care of but this one has had me baffled.