PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Leak?

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 5
Question Oil Leak?

Pretty sure I've got an oil leak, but it has been nearly impossible to find thus far! (No not because I'm TOTALLY car dumb) What has thrown me off is the fact that the oil is SLOWLY dripping by the drivers side front tire, and to my surprise I discovered yesterday that it's actually dripping off the transaxle pan, but I STILL can't figure out where it's originating from! Any ideas?! I would love to be able to figure this out and get it taken care of before I leave on the 22nd to make a 555 mile drive to go visit my mom!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 5
Default Re: Oil Leak?

Probably should have mentioned this is on an '01 Limited. Now I feel like a dork, I didn't realize I hadn't mentioned that till now, my bad lol.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 02:36 pm
cruserdad1976's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: st james mo
Posts: 8,217
Default Re: Oil Leak?

well there is nothing on top of the axel so it is most likely leaking more to the center of the engina nd running down

How much oil is it leaking??? how offten do you have to add oil???
It could be a oil seding unit went bad
It could be a gasket went south
555 miles is what i drive in 5 trips to work so im not thinking thats a big deal just keep a eye on the oil and DO NOT RUN IT DRY----OR OVERFILL IT

Have you power washed the engin to get it clean so its easier to find the leak???
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 03:13 pm
Vlefaive's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Whitby ON Canada
Posts: 1,630
Default Re: Oil Leak?

Sure it's oil ? I had a bad transfer case gasket in that very spot . No biggie just an hour or so to replace and less than a hundred bucks or so. Lay down a white board of some type and double check the fluid. Plus if you turn the wheel all the way left, you can see the case, run your finger along the bottom, just might be the ticket
__________________
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 5
Default Re: Oil Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
well there is nothing on top of the axel so it is most likely leaking more to the center of the engina nd running down

How much oil is it leaking??? how offten do you have to add oil???
It could be a oil seding unit went bad
It could be a gasket went south
555 miles is what i drive in 5 trips to work so im not thinking thats a big deal just keep a eye on the oil and DO NOT RUN IT DRY----OR OVERFILL IT

Have you power washed the engin to get it clean so its easier to find the leak???
It's not an extreme amount, I just noticed the leak about a week ago and when I checked the oil on Sunday it was maybe a half quart low. It drips after it's been running long enough to get warm. I haven't ever power washed the engine but I also don't have access to anything to do so, or would taking it to a car wash and using the sprayer do the trick? (Might sound like a silly question but I have NEVER power washed an engine lol)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 5
Default Re: Oil Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Sure it's oil ? I had a bad transfer case gasket in that very spot . No biggie just an hour or so to replace and less than a hundred bucks or so. Lay down a white board of some type and double check the fluid. Plus if you turn the wheel all the way left, you can see the case, run your finger along the bottom, just might be the ticket
I'm sure it's oil. When I checked to see exactly what the drips were coming off that pan I used a white paper towel and the oil is the only fluid low.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 05:22 pm
boonie2's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 535
Default Re: Oil Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiWife View Post
It's not an extreme amount, I just noticed the leak about a week ago and when I checked the oil on Sunday it was maybe a half quart low. It drips after it's been running long enough to get warm. I haven't ever power washed the engine but I also don't have access to anything to do so, or would taking it to a car wash and using the sprayer do the trick? (Might sound like a silly question but I have NEVER power washed an engine lol)
IF you Do power wash the engine at one of those car washes make sure you cover the relays back against the firewall and maybe any other electrical connections you can see ..... hate to short something out , maybe use some baggies or plastic ... don't wash a HOT engine either
__________________
2004 Pt Cruiser 2.4 L {non turbo} 113K miles , Electric Blue pearl {PICTURES in my Profile Album}
Full Synthetic Oil 10w30 K&N Filter
Full Synthetic Trans Fluid / filter Change :bolt-away
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 5
Default Re: Oil Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
IF you Do power wash the engine at one of those car washes make sure you cover the relays back against the firewall and maybe any other electrical connections you can see ..... hate to short something out , maybe use some baggies or plastic ... don't wash a HOT engine either
Lol, if my uncle taught me anything while growing up it was to never wash a hot engine . He's a car nut but being up in Indiana and me being in Arkansas it makes it hard for him to help me out lol. I have my husband but with as much as he works I take care of the house, kids, shopping, car, etc., and I usually don't have a problem getting a car issue pin pointed and taken care of but this one has had me baffled.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Leak, Vacuum leak Ikster Tech & Performance Forum 1 02 Jan 2013 09:53 pm
07 PT with Oil Leak jstcuz Tech & Performance Forum 14 10 May 2012 01:03 pm
Oil leak revolta General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 10 Dec 2011 09:23 pm
oil leak Nickatnite Tech & Performance Forum 10 11 Oct 2011 08:45 pm
Leak. TallahasseeGT General Turbo Discussions 1 04 Oct 2011 09:40 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors