PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser makes a grinding noise when idling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2014, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser makes a grinding noise when idling?

I hope you guys can help me diagnose this issue, it seems to me like it's something with the transmission. What happens is that occasionally when driving, I hear a grinding noise coming right from near the pedals, near the engine block. I've sized down the problem to occuring when:
  • I am starting the car from being cold
  • I back up, with-out giving it any gas
  • When it's in park
  • When cruising, but only occasionally. I haven't been able to pin point what speed influences that yet
Pretty much, when I'm not giving it gas, it starts grinding. It almost sounds like something is slipping, but this sort of thing is pretty beyond me. Also it seems like the grinding isn't AS bad once the engine is heated up. Extra info you might want to know,
  • It's a 2003 model,"Touring Edition" Not turbo (I hear some of them are, apparently?)
  • Recently I had some work done where the thermostat was changed out, and some radiator coolant spill onto the engine block, near the radiator cap
  • This grinding noise came up 2 days after the thermostat repairs
  • No check engine light, engine temperature is normal, everything else is normal.

I hope you guys can help me figure this out. I'll be honest if it's a serious issue I'll be taking it to a garage to get any real work done, but I'm hoping you can help me diagnose it anyways. At the very least, I'll be able to brace myself for what I'm dealing with.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 06:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Cruiser makes a grinding noise when idling?

Have you checked to make sure the mechanic that worked on it didn't drop a tool or something in it?(it happens!)
Old 13 Mar 2014, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser makes a grinding noise when idling?

There's no real moving parts that i can think of anywhere around where he would need access to the thermostat. But as Randy said, if he happen to lay a tool or part on another part of the engine and it slipped down, who knows what might happen. He also might have got under the car to release the radiator plug to drop some coolant for access of the thermostat. Are you able to get under the car to see if you might have picked something up while driving? A stuck branch or something might be leaning on a moving part that you wouldn't hear unless you were at low speeds.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.