• 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By Hearse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2014, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default More Mystery Problems w/ my '06 Turbo

Hi all,

My '06 turbo is having some mystery problems, and the symptoms are quite frankly confusing me and the repair shop where I have it, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

-Been having white (maybe white/blue) smoke out of the exhaust when starting up for about a week. Does not smell sweet, like I have heard coolant does. It smells like burning hydrocarbons.
-No overheating.
-Took car for an oil change Wednesday, and the coolant was very low. They refilled it. It is still fine, not low, so if there's a leak, it's not a fast one.
-I (and the mechanic) can smell a sort of burning smell inside the car.
-Last night, white smoke was coming out from the hood after I had driven it for about a mile. Has not happened again.
-Before the oil change, the oil light blinked on twice. I immediately took it in.
-Shop can't find any noticeable external leaks.
-Possibly, there is some hesitation, lack of smoothness (if that makes any sense) when I accelerate, particularly a "hard" acceleration from a standstill.
-A few times while accelerating, I've heard a repeated clicking noise. Doesn't happen all the time, not sure if it's related.

I was suspecting head gasket, but was told it would be overheating if that was the problem? Is that true?

I'm about an hour from my home and trying to figure out if it's safe to continue driving.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have. You guys are the best.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 10:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: More Mystery Problems w/ my '06 Turbo

Has the PCV been changed? I know that in a lot of cases with the turbo it is suggested to start with the PCV.

Hesitation and rough idle could be it needs plugs and wires if they haven't been changed.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Idle is fine, not rough. I finally had the same conclusion about the PCV after reading lots and lots of other threads. Car has 160,000 miles, and I don't think it's ever been changed. Is this something a non-mechanical person can change easily? I see the part is fairly inexpensive and from what I've been reading, it's just a matter of finding the piece and switching it out - don't have to take anything else apart. Is that accurate? What should I know to watch out for?
Old 14 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree on PCV - changing one is all of 5 minutes - shake the new one, it'll rattle and old one probably won't.
The spark plugs on PTs are in "wells" that have oil seals that can and often do go bad and the leaked oil will stink and possibly smoke.
randyincctx likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Mar 2014, 01:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: More Mystery Problems w/ my '06 Turbo

It's a fairly simple task,especially when you have a group of people helping with the instructions........
The hardest part will probably be removing the old,especially if sealant(RTV) or thread tape was used previously,plus being in there for so many years/miles!
First thing is to locate the PCV valve (see photos),then take/pull off the rubber/plastic hose,and then unscrew the old valve using a 24mm wrench.
Installation is basically the reverse;Screw the new valve in,torque to 70 inch lbs(or fairly tight,NOT too tight!),then re-attach the rubber/plastic hose...and your done.

Old 14 Mar 2014, 03:14 pm
Young Cruiser

The pvc valve is on the other side of the valve cover on top for turbo's.
randyincctx likes this.
2003 GT- Stage 1, Mopar BOV, 2.75" catback, Hurst SS, Eibach pro-kit, 6000k fogs, Alpine CDA 7893, 10" Alpine Type-X powered with JL Audio e1400d, Alpine Type-R components powered with JL Audio e4300.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 03:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Red face Re: More Mystery Problems w/ my '06 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
You are correct sir...I missed that part;My bad;Other than the location of the PCV valve,it's still the same basic process for R&R.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
And on my '05, doesn't screw in, is a push and 1/4 turn twist.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Mar 2014, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your turbo has a quite a few miles you may want to pull the intake hose off and check the play in the shaft . In and out and side to side.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Anyone have problems getting the part? The parts stores' computers show a straight valve, not the angled one that came out of the car. When I brought the actual part in, they said it has to be ordered from the factory. The dealership here thinks they have one, but I'm less than optimistic at this point.