PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Putting a turbo on a basic model

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2014, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Putting a turbo on a basic model

I've been wanting to put a turbo, among other things, on a standard 2006 2.4L PT Cruiser. Now I know space is tight (I just replaced the timing belt and felt like I wanted to set the thing on fire) so where would I find space to put one? What size and price would I be expecting?
I'm not mechanically inclined, but I am learning and my father is assisting me.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Putting a turbo on a basic model

Your question has been asked dozens of times. The answer most of us give is to sell or trade your cruiser for a Turbo Lite or full Turbo GT model. Either of those has the beefed up interior parts to withstand the forces needed for the Turbo. Even the transaxle is different on either of the Turbo models.

Not saying it can't be done. But it won't be easy. There's no "KIT" available so parts will have to gathered from new and used parts places. There's no instruction manual so it's all up to you and your dad to fit things together and make it all work.

There's plenty of older posts on the subject. Here's a couple of them....

Adding turbo to a non turbo

03 Turbo swap Gurus into non turbo

Turbo vs Non-Turbo

Add Turbo to a Base 2.4l
Jhardwick likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Mar 2014 at 02:50 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The question has been answered by old antiquated threads not current stuff available and information.

This is the NEW World Order of PT owners and Hot Rodders!

There is a way to easily install a turbo on a NA be CA smog legal and handle 210whp or *more on an automatic transmission! Yes that's correct!
PM me for details. And yes I am talking about Turbo Chargers not super chargers.

*SVMuffler & Dyno using their shop PT Cruiser with only a completely stock 2001 NA auto with only a original standard Whipple SC kit currently putting down 270whp+ recorded on a Superflow Chassis Dyno. This NA PT is driven hard often!
svsmuffler.com
916-971-6730

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Mar 2014, 10:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The question has been answered by old antiquated threads not current stuff available and information.

This is the NEW World Order of PT owners and Hot Rodders!

There is a way to easily install a turbo on a NA be CA smog legal and handle 210whp or *more on an automatic transmission! Yes that's correct!
PM me for details. And yes I am talking about Turbo Chargers not super chargers.

*SVMuffler & Dyno using their shop PT Cruiser with only a completely stock 2001 NA auto with only a original standard Whipple SC kit currently putting down 270whp+ recorded on a Superflow Chassis Dyno. This NA PT is driven hard often!
svsmuffler.com
916-971-6730
NO PMS NEEDED!!!

Until just a week or so ago, you had no idea about this system just like everyone else on this site. I'm sure you started scurrying around doing research when I inadvertently mentioned "going with either nitrous or an as yet UNTRIED turbo system on my PT in the near future". You're talking about an STSTurbo systems setup. They have been around since 2005 or so that I am aware of. I should know, I helped install two of their units. One on a Camaro and one on a Corvette.

I contacted them around August of 2006 asking about their product line and if there was someone near me that I could get more in depth with about their systems. They gave me a Naples performance shops contact info and one in Seffner, Fl. The one in Seffner is called ANTI-VENOM and I arrived at the shop early one morning and had a really informative talk with Greg, the shop owner, when we walked out to check out my PT for install possabilities, all three of them went nuts. They said they had never seen a more perfect vehicle for rear mounted turbo. I had already removed my spare from the rear and that created a perfect cavity for the turbo itself. They kept running from the engine bay to the rear, back to the engine and then back to the rear. They couldn't stop smiling! The only answer they couldn't give me was the pcm controls for the N/A when going boosted. I knew I could go with Mega-Squirt, SCT, a Misssing Link, rrfpr, etc., etc. That was another reason that I started my talks with SebringLX over at The Crew. He was a SCT tech and said he had never done this particular application but he was sure he could do it. I decided to just keep going with the old style of moddding my PT and let things drop concerning that. After leaving Anti-venoms shop I went to the Naples shop two days later and had the same talk with them, got all the same answers and as luck would have it, they had an install that morning and they invited me to observe. I ended up doing a little bit of hands on when they saw that I wouldn't screw anything up. They asked if I wanted to help do another that was scheduled for two days later, naturally I was at their doorstep at opening time.

I still was unsure about the PCM situation on a PT so decided to think it over and simply never got back to it after I tried the ZEX (nitrous) a short time later.

If you're going to ask why I hadn't said anything about this possability sooner than this, the answer is---I did---a long time ago here on this site and over at The Crew. No one seemed to care, so I just stopped mentioning it. Bob Stockum is without a doubt the guru over at The Crew and he said on line that he was going to do an STS install on his private PT, but shortly thereafter he seemed to loose interest in PTs. At least we stopped hearing from him.

Since no one wanted to talk about STS's before when I mentioned them I'm going to let MR. Nitro take over the reins on this STS possability.

Also, I'm sure he's going to bring up that you could just as easily convert your existing GT turbo'd PT to this rear mounted turbo system and literally use a large turbo instead of the smaller one that STS recommends for their N/A install. You could also simply buy all of the pieces that you want separately and make your own kit. Many differant ways to do this mod. There would be big advantages to moving your stock turbo to the rear of your GT.

Check their site out.

STSTurbo.com: Buy Custom Turbo Systems for Sale

Jerry

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Mar 2014 at 08:11 am. Reason: bringing it down to a non-personal answer
Old 16 Mar 2014, 12:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you actually read what you wrote and suggested I did?: Boy you are so far off we all at the shop couldn't stop laughing. You showed your true colors this time !
What I have a crystall ball now . You really think and believe my life revolves around only a PT Cruiser
You really need a life jerry?
Sts is not in the picture good luck with you project. Looks like your CREW is a bit behind on information as well you. And no converting our Gt. Turbo pt was not the project

Again if the OP is interesed to PM me.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Mar 2014 at 08:14 am. Reason: making it non-personal.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 12:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay,

So CREWZIN said his standard line about it being cheaper and easier to just buy a turbo PT. And NitroPT has already introduced the NEW idea of a tailpipe turbo. So I guess all that's left is for me to bring up the Whipple supercharger designed for the NA PT. Then all that's left are other members to shoot down the Whipple and tailpipe turbo. There should also be a lengthy discussion of all the differences between a NA and a turbo and why adding a turbo to an NA would be so difficult and costly. And then we usually top this off with a turbo-related argument between NitroPT and another member that often has nothing to do with putting a turbo on a NA PT. (That's already begun.) Add all that together and that will give us a full house.

Maybe we should put together one master thread with all these ideas and then just refer every new member with this idea to that thread.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Mar 2014 at 12:48 am.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 01:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Okay,

So CREWZIN said his standard line about it being cheaper and easier to just buy a turbo PT. And NitroPT has already introduced the NEW idea of a tailpipe turbo. So I guess all that's left is for me to bring up the Whipple supercharger designed for the NA PT. Then all that's left are other members to shoot down the Whipple and tailpipe turbo. There should also be a lengthy discussion of all the differences between a NA and a turbo and why adding a turbo to an NA would be so difficult and costly. And then we usually top this off with a turbo-related argument between NitroPT and another member that often has nothing to do with putting a turbo on a NA PT. (That's already begun.) Add all that together and that will give us a full house.

Maybe we should put together one master thread with all these ideas and then just refer every new member with this idea to that thread.
Todd

If someone wants a turbo installed on their NA then pm me,if someone wants a working whipple on a na pm . This is not going to be a discussion from me on a forum . The old timers thought they did it all to PT 's and failed attempts which now it seems to reported as fact that it can't be done? Well the way they describe doing it then they would be at least correct about that but then most of them spent to much time on forums talking about why things can't be done also

The fact is that to many do not have the money to undergo such projects they just want to talk the dream. We can make either happen turn key! We are just not giving up the how to! The way we look at it if anyone wants to copy the finish work thats your time and your dime. Can't stop that from happening!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Mar 2014 at 02:10 pm. Reason: added picture lol
Old 16 Mar 2014, 04:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lynn,

Looking over the STS/TURBO site is quite impressive except they don't even list the PT Cruiser. Cheapest setup I see is MSRP (Suggested price and we all know what that means) is $4,000.00 and goes up to 7K+ depending on the car.

On my calculations, that's the price of probably the first 5 years (2001-2005) of the whole car itself.

Another thing, if it's so EASY to install on of these systems, where are all these finished Turbo PT's ?

Nobody on any of the forums has a finished Turbo system to tell the rest of us how it runs and what the final cost was.

Could it possibly be that spending approximately 5K to 7K (give or take) to gain less HP than the standard GT that's selling for the same price?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
quicksilverdon and j0e like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You know sometimes this place can be like the crew. I see that that Jerry actually knows about the system and the like pit falls for the n/a but doesn't like Nitropt. But seem that nitro might have an idea of how to get around the fuel issue of the n/a. But Know one wants to see if it can be done. No one is going to make a system for our cars. There is no market they say. That dosent mean that we can't make the things we want if we put our knowledge together to fill in the gaps of a particular mod. Some times the only peace we lack is the part list we need. between us all we should be able to do anything that's been done out there. If we pool our bits and peaces of information and work with one another instead of having the I was first thing tear down anything we start. I say give it a chance. Jerry almost did but got shut down should we continue this trend again. I got beat up so you get beat too. Human nature yes. But time to better the next generation of forum pt'ers.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I will say again sts over priced conversions is NOT in the mention with me. There is an aroguant assumption that if one does not see it on a pt forum it does exists for a PT. Well sorry to pop some bubbles ! If someone is really wanting to do a turn key afforadble conversion pm! If that person gets one done they are naturally in there right to post all about!

Some power part conversions or installs of any sort are all custom tailored specifically for each vehicle. Each upgrade is carefully installed and tested before customer pick up.

Other wise follow another members hap hazard attempt to do a NA rear Turbo conversion.
With all the many shops he has getting involved I'am sure if enough time and money is spent it will get done?

A member responding on this thread assumed to much and opened his own mouth about his plans. There is a thread that was started recently on another forum as a open "what if" and to just talk about things lightly. Maybe that hit a competitive nerve or something ? To bad!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Mar 2014 at 02:11 pm. Reason: added picture lol