Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil pressure light is coming on car won't run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2014, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Oil pressure light is coming on car won't run

Hello everyone I am looking for some insite to a problem that just came up on our 2009 base pt . The oil light came on so i thought it needed oil , but after checking the oil it was full. the light will go off aftert the key is turned to the on position but will come back on after starting the engine. I got no fault codes and the check engine light is notg coming on. after about 5 to ten minute of starting and staopping the motor as I was trying to find the oil pressure switch the motor shuddered and then it would not sart up. I kinda of starts but the just shuts right down. There is no codes being logged? The motor will turn over . The motor has only 51000 miles on it . I am thinking its the worse oil pump has gone out or the timing belt has jumped or something. I disconnect the battry for about ten minutes but no change, ANY Ideas or is it off to the dealer for wopping repair price?????

HELP please
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil pressure light is coming on car won't run

It's not supposed to do it but I've seen it first hand that the engine won't start and the oil light is on and changing the oil pressure switch got the car going again.

Can't hurt to change it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank You Crewzin I had read that but I wasn't geting a code I will try replacing the pressure switch
Old 17 Mar 2014, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced the oil pressure sensor yesterday and no luck engine fires up but runns verry erratic . I will look at the oil filter latter today. if not that I guess iwill be towing the car to the dealer ship and pay thru the nose for the repair???????????????
Old 17 Mar 2014, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Still no code? Is the erratic when it's at idle? Does it go away when you get going down the road? How about plug and wires? When were they last changed?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello Crewzin still No code it starts but barely runs it will take the gas if i pump it . I am not moving the car because I am not sure of oil pressure as the light will not turn off. Thank you for responding