Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt done, now AC doesn't work.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing belt done, now AC doesn't work.

I just had my 2007 PT's timing belt, water pump, idler & tentioner done at the dealership about two weeks ago. Runs nice and smooth.

Only issue is I turned on my AC today and it doesn't blow out cool, not hot, just normal temp air. Not like when the fan was bad. I popped the hood and the AC compressor isn't kicking on, there's no difference when the switch is on or off.

I'm thinking maybe they missed a wire connection for the compressor. I see the one on the end, but the other looks like it's on top of the compressor and practically impossible to reach. The top one looks like a normal plastic connector, but then I see what looks like metal prongs towards the compressor side. Couldn't get a photo, since it's too far down. I did manage to squeeze my hand in and it just feels like the prongs start to bend if I push it.

I suppose I can take it back to the dealer and have them look and see, since it worked before they did the job. But, they're only there til 5 and my daughter is in the hospital, so I don't have the 2nd car to leave it right now.

I tried to find the relay, but the back side of the fuse box (behind the air box) said to see the manual for designations. The manual didn't have any listed as AC, so not sure were the AC relay is.

Is anybody familiar with the fuses, relays or connections for the AC compressor? I'd like to just check the simple things first.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 07:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Timing belt done, now AC doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I'm thinking maybe they missed a wire connection for the compressor. I see the one on the end, but the other looks like it's on top of the compressor and practically impossible to reach. The top one looks like a normal plastic connector, but then I see what looks like metal prongs towards the compressor side. Couldn't get a photo, since it's too far down. I did manage to squeeze my hand in and it just feels like the prongs start to bend if I push it.
Those are the high & low A/C pressure switches......If they're not connected,the compressor won't run;The only other possibility is when they disconnected & reclaimed the refrigerant,they didn't replace it when done.
TAKE IT BACK.....You paid good money to have a job done,it should be done correctly.IMHO

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 Mar 2014 at 07:08 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 09:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt done, now AC doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Those are the high & low A/C pressure switches......If they're not connected,the compressor won't run;The only other possibility is when they disconnected & reclaimed the refrigerant,they didn't replace it when done.
TAKE IT BACK.....You paid good money to have a job done,it should be done correctly.IMHO
You're not kidding, they cleaned my throttle body and did a fuel injector cleaning, but the whole job was just over $1500. It still runs great, just no AC. I guess I'll have to call them Monday and see when they can look at it again.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 12:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Timing belt done, now AC doesn't work.

It shouldn't cost you anything but some of your time(some times that's worse than $$$)......But,part of the timing belt procedure is,first recovering/capturing the R-134a,and then removing both the A/C lines to get them out of the way.......When the job is finished,about the last thing done is recharging the R-134a.
I'm gonna bet they didn't even recharge your A/C........They wouldn't even be able to,if one of the pressure switches is still unplugged.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 07:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

When I did my timing belt my AC wouldn't work either. I had accidently broken a connector on the compressor. So if you have the same problem as I did you should be able to see the connector if you look at the side of the compressor from below. Just get on the ground and look behind the bumper. I believe the connector is blue.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 08:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingis View Post
When I did my timing belt my AC wouldn't work either. I had accidently broken a connector on the compressor. So if you have the same problem as I did you should be able to see the connector if you look at the side of the compressor from below. Just get on the ground and look behind the bumper. I believe the connector is blue.
I jacked it up and got under, but the only connector I could see was the one on the back end of the compressor. The other connector was on top and could only be seen from above. It was very hard to even get my hand on it, and I can't be sure it definitely on.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 01:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Brought it back to the dealer. After looking at it, they're telling me the one of the AC lines is broken and leaking. I told them it was working a few weeks before I had it in.

He told me that it broke due to age, then when you move stuff around that sometimes happens. He said he'll pay for the line I'll just need to pay the labor of $174 + tax.

My faith in mechanics has dropped again, why is there always something else? Originally they gave me an idea it was going to be around $1,000 (no quote, just guess), the actual cost was $1400+, now another $180.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They're giving you a "break" because they feel guilty.
My daughter's '03 GT PT had timing belt done and didn't lose A/C, same with my '05 PT - Yes, lines will break when a gorilla works on the car.
Your is an '07 - many older PTs had timing belts done without losing A/C.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Mar 2014, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
They're giving you a "break" because they feel guilty.
My daughter's '03 GT PT had timing belt done and didn't lose A/C, same with my '05 PT - Yes, lines will break when a gorilla works on the car.
Your is an '07 - many older PTs had timing belts done without losing A/C.
If he's still there when I get there, I want him to show me what's broken. I think it's ridiculous, but what other choice do I have.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I paid to have my belt changed, but from what I've read of those doing it, there is a choice - depressurize and unhook A/C, or leave it charged up and swing the lines out of the way...
seems they charged enough to depressurize the A/C, but swung the lines, kinked them, and caused a leak and hoped you wouldn't notice until summer.
randyincctx likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles