PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch or tranny problem???

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2014, 03:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch or tranny problem???

I have an 06 PT cruiser touring non-turbo manual tranny. When I put the car in gear and push the gas, it doesn't move, all that happens is the engine revvs up. I have tried it in first and reverse. just prior to this happening, I was on my way home and all was well. Then I made a stop and proceeded to go but the car barely moved & it just revved the engine to 3rpm when I pushed the gas. I was finally able to make it home, although I only had a mile to go. That is when I tried again. It starts just fine but I noticed it shifts into gears more easily than it did before. Any ideas? I obviously cant drive the vehicle to a shop for them to look at.
Thank you very much
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch or tranny problem???

Sounds like the clutch was burnt to smithereens
Old 17 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mileage on car, mileage on clutch?
Old 21 Mar 2014, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car has 77,000 miles on it & nothing major has been replaced. So the clutch would have the same.
I was reading in the repair manual to check the clutch fluid reservoir & that it is located on the firewall next to the master cylinder, but there is no reservoir that I see at all except the brake fluid one that is supposed to be in the same place pretty much.
The clutch pedal isn't mushy or real loose either. It feels the same as it always has. The gear shifter moves into each gear with no problems and there is no grinding or any other noises when shifting gears or pushing the clutch pedal.
I don't understand why, when the clutch & gas are both released and the car is in gear, the car doesn't die. This all happened the same day. There was nothing at all that lead up to these events that has been wrong with the vehicle.
I really appreciate any and all help I get...Thank you very much!
Old 21 Mar 2014, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

cluch linkage cables????
Old 21 Mar 2014, 10:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Clutch or tranny problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlost33 View Post
The car has 77,000 miles on it & nothing major has been replaced. So the clutch would have the same.
How many of those miles are yours?....Any other drivers?(maybe inexperienced w/MTX?)
Depending on driving/shifting habits a clutch can need to be replaced even sooner than 77K;The way you describe it: "I made a stop and proceeded to go but the car barely moved & it just revved the engine to 3rpm when I pushed the gas.",sure makes it sound like the clutch disc (similar to brake pads/shoes) is worn/gone.
Did you smell any unusual burning smell,on the ride home?
I think when it's opened up there will be burnt/black pieces & powder from the clutch;Depending on how bad of shape it's in,the flywheel may/or may not be turnable,and may need replacing also.
Old 08 Apr 2014, 02:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

No there wasn't any smell when it happened or now. The car was primarily my moms until about a yr ago. We both have driven cars professionally for a living and know how to drive a stick. I did find out that the clutch is engaging though.
Old 08 Apr 2014, 08:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Very strange symptoms. You say you haven't beat on it and that it happened all of a sudden. It might not be the clutch then. Maybe something to do with the output shaft of the tranny? Or somewhere in the drive train? Idk I'm stumped
Old 08 Apr 2014, 08:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Maybe the disc failed, basically the hub on the disc might be seperated from the rest of the disc.

Let us know what you find.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 08 Apr 2014, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had it happen on a '69 Volvo - I destroyed the spider gear in rear differential - I had same symptoms - except -
"Then I made a stop and proceeded to go but the car barely moved & it just revved the engine to 3rpm when I pushed the gas. I was finally able to make it home, although I only had a mile to go."

When a gear is destroyed, you get NADA, no creep - some creeping sounds like clutch, but that quickly???

You will HAVE to let us know what it is.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles