Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Multifunction switch help on a 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2014, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Multifunction switch help on a 2006

I have found lots of threads and even videos on how to change this on older cruisers but mind is an 06 and they don't help. Can anyone lend some guidance?
Old 19 Mar 2014, 04:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Multifunction switch help on a 2006

Take the clamshell apart from around the steering column. Just three screws to get it off. Then one screw and one plug and the MFS comes out. But they don't go bad like the first generation does. What issues are you having?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 02:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same problem with my 2006. In my case it is the windshield wipers won't turn off. When I went to the parts store I see they sell the windshield wiper control and turn signal control sides separately. I have to take another look, but I didn't see a way to take them out separately.

I took the two bottom screws out and then took the top cover off. On the 2006 there is a third screw that holds the bottom of the clam shell to the steering column. I took that out to get a better look at the whole arrangement, but the bottom of the clam shell seems to be connected to a boot type piece with an interlocking flange that is difficult to get off. Once I saw that it was going to be a problem I put it back together to get more info before I tried again. I saw the video on the 2002 and mine doesn't pop right out like that.

Then I found your post.

Is there a clip or something holding the bottom of the clamshell to the boot? How about a clip holding the multifunction in after the two screws are out? Also I don't seem to have enough wiggle room to get the bottom half of the clamshell out of the ignition key cylinder. Do I have to remove that first? It would be nice if I could do the whole thing by just taking off the top cover like they did on the 2002.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This 2007 PT Cruiser Multifunction Switch video on youtube might help.

Old 25 Oct 2014, 08:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRick View Post
Is there a clip or something holding the bottom of the clamshell to the boot? How about a clip holding the multifunction in after the two screws are out? Also I don't seem to have enough wiggle room to get the bottom half of the clamshell out of the ignition key cylinder. Do I have to remove that first? It would be nice if I could do the whole thing by just taking off the top cover like they did on the 2002.
I took mine apart about 2 weeks ago to check the plug...
There are 2 screws at the bottom...after you remove those...kinda squeeze the sides & lift the top off...if you can't pop them, use a small screwdriver to pry them apart, but be careful not to damage the plastic. After you remove the top, grab the bottom...1 hand behind the ignition switch & use the other to lift the plastic over the switch & pull down.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Tags
2006, multifunction switch