Advertisements
PT Help.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rotty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2014, 07:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Help.

I seem to only post when im having issues with my pt cruiser but here we go. bout a month ago i was turning the wheel from a stop and i hear this sound like a rubber band being pulled. when im at a complete stop and going for a turn do i hear this sound. Someone i work with is telling me its my power steering fluid the brand lucas or something like that.. Ive been attempting to get into a shop so someone can look at it...in case its not that but no luck because im busy and most shops close by 5 in my area. it still drives smooth nothing out of the ordinary unless turning and even backing up and turning i hear it.

Im completely clueless when it comes to vehicles. Its an 01 pt cruiser bout 133k miles everything is up to date on it. Id rather fix this before its something that gets worse...if i can just put fluid in and it be okay that would be great...ive checked the fluid but it was freezing outside when i did and really couldnt tell much of what was going on.

Any sort of information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 20 Mar 2014, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Help.

Hard to tell n the Internet when someone describes a noise that sounds like a rubber band being pulled. I tried that at home and didn't hear a thing. Not to be funny, but what you hear and what the noise really sounds like could be completely different.

Noise when turning could be two things. A bad wheel bearing makes noise when turning and the power steering unit (if something isn't right) makes noise. Best to get it into a shop and catch the noise maker before it gets worse. A lot of shops are open on the weekends, even Sunday.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 10:52 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: PT Help.

I had a similar problem with my 01, with 240,000 km

I bought a turkey baster and a large can of quality power steering fluid.

I sucked out as much of the fluid through the reservoir and filled it with new fluid. Then I ran the car and moved the steering for about 1 minute.

I repeated the process until the fluid was clean, the old fluid was pretty dark. I used about 2/3 of the new fluid.

This was a cheap way to change fluids, about $10.00 for everything, and about 25 minutes.

The result was no more noise, and peace of mind, the old fluid being 14 years old.
boonie2 and hopeful like this.