Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'04 Hiccups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2014, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '04 Hiccups

I just read another thread about a Cruiser making a 'rubber band being snapped' noise and thought it apt that one of the respondents said what people hear and others think of aren't necessarily the same thing.

But going along with the idea that I think I know just what the rubber band sound is like in a car, I tried to think about what exactly my car sounds like that feels "off". My car, when sitting at idle, seems to hiccup.

This happened in a previous vehicle, and I ignored the noise. Then found my self on a desert road, with no go at all. After pushing the car for a mile to the nearest "shop" (one you wouldn't stop at unless you were completely broken down) they determined it was the fuel pump. $600 later, I was back on the road. I know it could have been done for less if I'd been proactive after first hearing the noise. So the lesson there was, don't ignore a persistent noise.

This Cruiser was purchased used, and I have a carfax report (somewhere). It only has 60k miles on it, and it has never gotten better than 20 mpg on the highway, but after reading some of the threads here I can't expect any better. My concern now is avoiding breakdowns.

To make a question short: What causes idle hiccups in a PT Cruiser? The hiccup happens, then the idle slows down very slightly, then returns to normal. It probably does similarly when driving, but the road noise makes it impossible to detect. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I should check?
Old 20 Mar 2014, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '04 Hiccups

I was the person who answered the other thread about the rubber band but the poster said it sounded like a rubber band being "pulled" not snapped. Try that at home, no noise from the rubber band. I also said he should get it looked like before it gets worse. Good advice (if I may say so myself) for any problem.

Your hiccup: did some searching and found several answers. i take it your engine light is NOT on to help with diagnostics but sometimes there could be a malfunction that only a scanner can detect so if you can get it scanner somewhere, that might detect what the problem is.

Other points that might cause that problem is a bad plug or wire, when was the last time they were changed? A vacuum leak, check every vacuum wire that you can find. A partially clogged injector, so a bottle of Chevron Techron into the gas tank might help clean that up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 01:59 pm
Banned

Has anyone even considered that she ran over a rubber band?
Old 20 Mar 2014, 02:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Has anyone even considered that she ran over a rubber band?
Only you would have considered that Busa. Take another pill and lie down for awhile.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 03:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Only you would have considered that Busa. Take another pill and lie down for awhile.
Take 2 just to be safe
Old 20 Mar 2014, 03:32 pm
Banned

I can't, I was on my break. I am a walmart cart pusher, no rest for the weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Old 30 Mar 2014, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: '04 Hiccups -- now updated to include Check Engine Light On

Crewzin, you wrote:

"Your hiccup: did some searching and found several answers. i take it your engine light is NOT on to help with diagnostics but sometimes there could be a malfunction that only a scanner can detect so if you can get it scanner somewhere, that might detect what the problem is.

Other points that might cause that problem is a bad plug or wire, when was the last time they were changed? A vacuum leak, check every vacuum wire that you can find. A partially clogged injector, so a bottle of Chevron Techron into the gas tank might help clean that up."

Sorry but I was moving during that week and barely had time to do anything except pray alot while having to use the car to load stuff. The move is over and this weekend haven't done a whole lot except for unpack. Last night I went out to a movie and it was raining and the hiccups seemed to occur over rain-groove highways, but I couldn't tell if it was because of the rain, the road, or the imagination.

Today I started it up to go about a mile, and I usually let the idle sit for a couple of minutes before pulling out and lo and behold, the check engine light came on. So now there's something that can be detected. Luckily, my destination for that errand took me to a block where there's an O'Reilly's.

Unfortunately they said they are no longer allowed to use their scanners to find codes for customers. This is CA. Any other ideas where one can get a car scanned for free? I assume it's probably something minor, like a vac hose or something that can easily be detected and replaced, but I don't want to have to pay an hour labor for the scan itself. Is there a scanner you recommend for purchase?

Also, I am not planning on keeping this vehicle. It was an interim solution to having no vehicle at all -- was purchased with 50k miles and now has about 60k over about 30 months. I don't know how to find here in the forum about the best way to go about selling a Cruiser, so any tips on that would be helpful.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 01:12 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: '04 Hiccups -- now updated to include Check Engine Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingBlind View Post
Unfortunately they said they are no longer allowed to use their scanners to find codes for customers. This is CA. Any other ideas where one can get a car scanned for free? I assume it's probably something minor, like a vac hose or something that can easily be detected and replaced, but I don't want to have to pay an hour labor for the scan itself. Is there a scanner you recommend for purchase?
You don't need a scanner to check codes on 'Cruisers. Whatcha do is this:

Insert the key into the ignition. One click, you're in the OFF position. Two, you should be in the RUN position.

Cycle the key from OFF to RUN in the following order, starting at OFF:

(Start at OFF)-RUN-OFF-RUN-OFF-RUN

Or, in other words, click it on,then back off, three times, holding in the on position to end.

Delay between each click for about half a second- I've found that if I do it too fast, it doesn't work. But on the other end, it all needs to be done within five seconds.

If it's done right, all codes are displayed on the odometer.

I'm ALWAYS checking this weekly, at the same time as my oil and coolant checking.

Last edited by Kittera; 31 Mar 2014 at 01:16 am.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Kittera, thank you for the invaluable advice.

It's a P0442 code. Which, combined with the intermittent hiccup, probably points more toward a leak at the evap somewheres than a faulty gas cap (which I'm finding most often is the culprit). When I bought the car a couple of years ago, the first thing I bought for it was a brand new locking gas cap. It has no rubber gasket, it's solid plastic, so there couldn't be any deterioration. However, while examining the gas cap, I noticed an odd white film on some of the threading toward the bottom (gas tank side). Probably meaningless.

But since you are my new hero, if I ever do find out where the leak is, will the code just go away on its own or is there some other way to make it disappear? It'd be awesome if it consists of merely reversing the steps to make the code materialize, but I know it's never that easy
Old 31 Mar 2014, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingBlind View Post
Kittera, thank you for the invaluable advice.

It's a P0442 code. Which, combined with the intermittent hiccup, probably points more toward a leak at the evap somewheres than a faulty gas cap (which I'm finding most often is the culprit). When I bought the car a couple of years ago, the first thing I bought for it was a brand new locking gas cap. It has no rubber gasket, it's solid plastic, so there couldn't be any deterioration. However, while examining the gas cap, I noticed an odd white film on some of the threading toward the bottom (gas tank side). Probably meaningless.

But since you are my new hero, if I ever do find out where the leak is, will the code just go away on its own or is there some other way to make it disappear? It'd be awesome if it consists of merely reversing the steps to make the code materialize, but I know it's never that easy
Doubt the P0442 code is cause of your hiccup. But no gasket on gas cap is probably cause of the 442.
To reset codes, take off battery cable, press brake pedal (brake light drains last remaining charge) and re-install battery cable (tighten).
If code comes back, you still have your problem.
When was last time plugs & wires were replaced?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles