Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 GT Rough Idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2014, 07:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 GT Rough Idle

Experienced rough idle in our 06 HO-GT at 30k miles and only ended up confused reading "how-tos" and solutions on other websites as to the fix. I ended up going with factory recommended champion copper plugs and a new set of factory wires. Problem solved. She idles nicely without the use of
platinum plugs, or iridium plugs or ultra low resistence after market plug wires.
What I did learn in the process was using platinum plugs in a turbo engine is
not the best for long term use. The Platinum does not like the higher combustion temps in the turbo engines and will not last as long as the copper
plugs. Additionally, Iridium plugs require much less voltage to fire than conventional or platinum plugs. If the factory
coil is already high output, ultra low resistance plug wires will really tax the iridium plugs and cause premature wear and missing at high speed. This problem is exacerbated if you add a super high output coil. All this was from a gentleman who worked for years in the ignition industry supplying racing ignition systems to the racing fraternity. Two other thoughts. Give your local Chrysler dealer a shot at your parts needs. My dealer was competitive pricing-wise with the internet suppliers of factory parts. Lastly, changing out
the plugs and wires was much easier than I had anticipated. Just take your
time. If you have a high mileage engine, consider also buying a set of the spark plug well seals and a new valve cover gasket if there is oil around the
plugs in the bottom of the wells. You'll want to change those out if that is the case. The plugs I took out of the engine were Autolite platinums - so the previous owner had installed the platinums at some point in the cars life. They appeared severely eroded and two of the plugs exhibited severe leakage between the metal base and the ceramic insulator.
tonino
Old 21 Mar 2014, 10:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: 06 GT Rough Idle

The Champion RE14MCC5 is a good plug,and so is the NGK V-PWR/LTLR4A-11......Whatever plugs are chosen,most recommend gapping them @ 0.040,instead of @ 0.048-0.053,and the 2.4L engines (N/A & Turbo) seem to run better @ 0.040.