Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Cruiser won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt Cruiser won't start

I will start with the first issue that I believe dragged out into this although I could be mistaken. I have a bad multi-function switch(loose connection) that keeps the headlights on whenever the fuse for it stays in. So during hours of darkness or rainy days I would put the fuse in and remove it when I got home. Sometimes if I was only going to be in a store for a few minutes I would just leave the fuse in.

Recently however, when I went to put the fuse in to go to the store all the lights and electronics shut off. I checked all the fuses under the dashboard and some are a little corroded but still usable. So with the help of a family member we tried jumpstarting it and failed. Then we tried a trickle charger over night and failed. Pulled the battery to get tested and it was fine. Then we pulled the starter and had it tested and it is fine.

I don't have so much money to repair it so I have not taken it to the shop. But I don't see what the problem could be. I should mention that while attempting to jumpstart it the dash lights came on and windows were able to be raised/lowered. At first it attempted to turn over 2 times but now there is a clicking noise inside the car but not near the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions that could help me get this vehicle running again?
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser won't start

pull out your relays in the PDC (under the battery) and either check them, or swap one around for the start relay. Look at the label under the cover
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

A couple things. Whenever you come to a forum for help, always tell the members that are looking to help you what your driving. Even though this is a PT Cruiser forum, there was a major difference in electronics beginning in 2006 so unless you tell us what year and mileage your car is, we could be telling you things that don't pertain to your particular car.

Two things you did say lead us in one direction. First, when you put the fuse in you lost everything. You probably blew a major fuse. There's one fuse that's hard to get at that controls lots of things including electronics and starting. It's the IOD fuse.

Second, you said "some are a little corroded" which means the car has basically been neglected. Water (moisture) has gotten into the car and has started to do damage to the electrics.

Did you buy the car used? Is there any signs of flooding, was it checked out? There were thousands of cars that were caught up in flooded conditions and totaled by the insurance companies and later sold by people out for a fast buck. Hopefully yours wasn't one of them but corrosion in either of the fuse locations isn't good.

Since you got some power back when you tried to jump start it, there's hope. You need to get to all the ends of all the cables that come from, go to, the battery. Clean them up of any corrosion and make sure they are tight at the place where they are attached. if there's any corrosion, that would stop the power from the good battery (during jump starting) getting to the starter.

Start there with cleaning up everything and looking for the IOD fuse to see if it's blown.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

A couple things. Whenever you come to a forum for help, always tell the members that are looking to help you what your driving. Even though this is a PT Cruiser forum, there was a major difference in electronics beginning in 2006 so unless you tell us what year and mileage your car is, we could be telling you things that don't pertain to your particular car.

Two things you did say lead us in one direction. First, when you put the fuse in you lost everything. You probably blew a major fuse. There's one fuse that's hard to get at that controls lots of things including electronics and starting. It's the IOD fuse.

Second, you said "some are a little corroded" which means the car has basically been neglected. Water (moisture) has gotten into the car and has started to do damage to the electrics.

Did you buy the car used? Is there any signs of flooding, was it checked out? There were thousands of cars that were caught up in flooded conditions and totaled by the insurance companies and later sold by people out for a fast buck. Hopefully yours wasn't one of them but corrosion in either of the fuse locations isn't good.

Since you got some power back when you tried to jump start it, there's hope. You need to get to all the ends of all the cables that come from, go to, the battery. Clean them up of any corrosion and make sure they are tight at the place where they are attached. if there's any corrosion, that would stop the power from the good battery (during jump starting) getting to the starter.

Start there with cleaning up everything and looking for the IOD fuse to see if it's blown.
Don't forget to clean the cables that are connected to the inner finder on the drivers side behind the air cleaner box as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Mar 2014, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

It is a 2003 sorry I forgot to put the year in the title. Yes the car was bought used from an auto-auction. Not any signs of flooding that I can see. I did have it checked out at a Precision Auto Tune and they gave me a break down on what they saw needed replaced. Mainly just nonessential stuff like the ac compressor needs replaced. It did overheat once in a trip and I paid to have the engine redone and timing belt replaced.

I will do as you suggested and look for the IOD fuse and cleaning the contacts. Thank you for the insight.