Advertisements
front end problems

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default front end problems

hi everyone i have an 01 cruizer 250k miles +and besides replacing motor and trans i have replaced sway arm bushings end links both lower control arms both wheel bearings rod ends but now i have a problem when i am driving around 70 to 75 miles per hour it tries to change lanes on its own i am wondering if the rack and pinion is going bad or if struts are to blame it has been getting worse and worse and just dont know what is causing this any help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited by scoobydoo; 26 Mar 2014 at 12:10 am.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 09:05 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: front end problems

Most alignment/tire shops will check your suspension/steering system for a very low cost most offer free checks.

Does it drift into the other lane or does it turn sharply?
Are your tires inflated properly?
Do you get any vibration in the steering wheel, if so could be anything from your tie rod ends to possibly the rack and pinion (not likely the R & P though).
Worn Ball joints, upper strut mounts
I don't think struts themselves would cause it.
Something would have to change the angle of the tire/wheel to make it turn.

It could be any number of things causing it to do so.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 09:54 am
Senior Cruiser

After changing the control arms and the other steering/suspension pieces, did you get an alignment? Your problem may be something as simple as improper toe-in which will make the handling very dicey at speed. The struts usually get worn and "soft" as they get older which won't effect tracking all that much. But if they are totally broken in some manner or the top mount(s) are loose and moving around, that can mess with tracking. Is it possible the lower strut bolts are in backwards? (I'm not sure if that can be done???) You should be able to easily determine if the struts are compromised. You could try switching tires around to see if the problem changes in any way and maybe eliminate them as a cause.

If you did all the work (you didn't say) it's not that unusual to not see what you may have missed or messed up yourself. It can help if someone else gets hands and eyes on everything. Get the front on jack stands, try rocking the tire side to side, top to bottom, to check for any slop. Spin them to check the hubs, bearings, brakes, etc. Then remove the tire/wheel and recheck all the bolts, ball joints, tie rods, links, etc.

The engine is secure with all motor mounts and torque struts in good condition, right? And the control arm bushings weren't damaged during install? I hope you figure it out soon and that it's something simple/easy.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with others and also doubt it's the rack and pinion - I'm old enough to recall the predecessor to rack and pinion - it was worm and roller, and THAT used to allow "slop" in the steering as it wore, the advantage of rack and pinion was "tighter" steering.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles