Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No start and three error codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default No start and three error codes

I am new here and have what I think is an odd coincidence. I tried a quick search but I cannot find a clear answer. This is an '05 non-turbo PT. It has been ultra reliable since new so I am way late joining a forum. In any case, the car failed to start for my wife this morning. I am just starting the investigation but the first thing I did was run a scan and found three current codes: P0129, low barometer; P0335 crank position signal fault and P0340, cam position signal. The timing was replaced approx. 4,000 miles ago as well as a new cam sensor. My first instinct is a possible common link to all three codes at the same time, PCM? Is there a common link? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No start and three error codes

do you know if the sensor was a Genuion Mopar one???? tis really does matter on the PT Id change both sensors and see if it starts
has it ran good since the timing belt was changed???
Old 27 Mar 2014, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, I do not know if it was the Mopar but will try to find out. It has run normally since the belt was replaced, although lately there has been one item that has defied locating. There seems to be a hot plastic sort of smell and a squeak/chirp sort of sound that gets better when warm, although it does not disappear completely. Visually nothing shows up and the sound has proven difficult to locate. Upon some reflection, I believe the only item not replaced when the accessory belts were replaced is the plastic? power steering belt tensioner. I guess it is time to pull the wheel and get a better look. Thanks for the reply.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The timing belt and the power steering belt are two different belts. One (timing) takes about 5 to 7 hours of time to change, the other (serpentine belt) takes about 15 minutes. There's a belt tensioner for both of the belts. There's a plastic cover over the timing belt, no cover over the serpentine belt.

Neither have anything to do with the no start condition. The car is old enough that changing both the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors might be a good idea. The car needs both in working order to start and run.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

10-4 on the belt noise/issue not causing the no-start. I only mentioned it to be clear about any issues since the timing belt change. I did check through the little porthole to be sure the timing belt was still operational, which it is. At that time everything was replaced inside the timing cover and both accessory drive belts but not the tensioner pulley for the serpentine. I did purchase new cam and crank sensors from Mopar and I now know why the parts guy rolled his eyes when I got the crank sensor. What were they thinking? I appreciate the feedback.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 12:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: No start and three error codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seater View Post
I did purchase new cam and crank sensors from Mopar
Did you just purchase them now?.....or,had you already purchased & installed them before the current no-start issue?
Old 28 Mar 2014, 05:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Purchased 27mar14. I could not confirm the brand of the cam sensor installed at the time of the timing belt change, but I am pretty certain it was an aftermarket part.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 02:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: No start and three error codes

Another reported issue that can sometimes arise with the CKS(Crankshaft Position Sensor) is the wiring coming into contact with the axle,causing the insulation to get worn,resulting in a ground-fault,thus causing the P0335 CEL/Code-(CKS).
Old 28 Mar 2014, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced both sensors today and cleared codes. Runs fine now. That certainly is a brilliant location for the crank sensor. The squeak/chirp is the belt. Tensioner pulley was replaced today because stethoscope indicated a slight growl and click. The serpentine belt is new and appears to be where it wraps the crank pulley. It all runs straight and true, so I'll see what it does from here. Thanks for the help.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 07:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: No start and three error codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seater View Post
That certainly is a brilliant location for the crank sensor.
Yeah,apparently Chrysler engineers thought the 2001-2003 was too easy to get at above oil filter.....So they decided to move it under the starter starting in 2004!