Engine problems continued

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TD2593
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2014, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine problems continued

Well, my check engine light/#4 Cyl Misfire issue is past. Good. Had a burned valve. Shop replaced the valve and no more codes. NOW!

I had to make a 150 mile trip on Thursday night, right after picking up the car from the shop (see above). Half way to my destination I started hearing a tap, tap, taping noise from under the hood. Sounded like a stuck lifter. Got to my destination and the tapping just sounded a little louder. Called the shop in the morning and discussed. Decision was to check the oil and return in the afternoon. So far, so good.

Late afternoon I started heading for Ashland, KY from just north of Parkersberg, WV. Out on the freeway the noise starts getting louder and finally, after about 40 miles I can't stand to abuse anymore and pulled into a service station and called a tow truck.

$480 later we dropped it off at the service shop and I went home to bed. It was a really long, expensive day.

Got a call from the shop this morning. Spun bearing on #4 cylinder. Doesn't look like there is any damage to the crank, so we are going to replace the bearing and see if it works.

Question for the group...WHY? Plenty of oil and no indication of low oil pressure. 84,000 miles on the motor. Any suggestions?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 08:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Engine problems continued

If spun bearing on number 4 rod crank has to be scored no way to spin Bering and not screw up crank
Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm trying to grasp why spun bearing would produce a tapping and not a screeching noise.
Was bearing gone enough that there was piston slap (connecting rod had play on bearing end)?
Why it happened is also a mystery - it is not common.
Since cyl 4 had misfire, could enough gas have washed down cylinder to dilute oil? I don't think so, but I have no other theories.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree a bering will nto sound liek a lifter and if it got to the screaching point then there is 100% forsure crank danamage
Old 28 Mar 2014, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had bad rod bearings in Chevy's tap like that. They are usually badly worn but not spun. Let them tap very long like that and the rod will usually come out through the side of the block.

What year model is your PT? There was a crankshaft/thrush washer issue with either 2006 or 2007 models that came with auto transmissions. It might be possible that your crank is moving forward or back far enough off the oil vein to quit oiling one or more rod bearings.

But a more likely scenario is that whatever caused the bad valve is also at fault here. Could the earlier owner have run the car out of oil sometime in the past and caused localized undue engine wear that's just starting to cause problems now?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Mar 2014 at 10:43 am.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Handy - good question. The history of the previous owner is unknown. I purchased from a local Mazda dealer. The Carfax did not indicate any previous engine issues. Guess I'll have to wait and see what the shop says.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

A spun rod bearing will not make a squealing noise (usually), it will start out as a deep thucking noise or rattle when you rev the engine and hold at a steady RPM and get worse as it progresses. Its very easy to mistake for a lifter noise if you are not familiar with spun rod bearings. It is very unlikely that no crank damage is done, almost impossible. You need to have your shop check the run out on that journal and see if its still in spec for diameter to. It is possible that trash got in the oil when the head was removed and caused the bearing failure.
Pricejh likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Engine problems continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
The history of the previous owner is unknown.
That's what alot of us who have previously owned PT Cruisers are having to deal with.....
Were they taken care of,or used & abused?
I didn't need to know the exact history to know mine was abused,but she's still alive & kicking!
She just needs a little 're-constructive' surgery,and a little bit of 'therapy',and I know she'll be good as new,or maybe even better.
Pricejh likes this.