PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HEY GUYS LIL HELP

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2014, 05:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default HEY GUYS LIL HELP

Hi, i just picked up a 05 pt cruiser gt with 40,000miles, mint shape, question is i want to do many MANY things as im sure all you have already, i'm glad this site exsist's, anyhow as i learn i will contribute to the newb <which is currently me> question is among many thing i am doing a full tune up and wanted to know whats the best plugs/wires/ignition coil, i'm sure its been answered a million times, im just wondering if anything current hit the market and whats the cream of the crop, i am installing this weekend, if i can get parts, along with cross drilled rotors front/rear an ceramic brakes assuming that's the hot ticket as well, oh yea, 1' spacers for rims they look silly sitting in that fine fat ass she has,Also with the plugs recommended what gap should i be setting them at,thank you in advance guys!!!! btw i'm tommy and this is post #1 HOWDY YA'LL

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 28 Mar 2014, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HEY GUYS LIL HELP

First, WELCOME to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

If you search back through the forum, you will find lots of choices for spare plugs. Any good name brand set of plug wires will do but many members choose performance wires such as MSD.

If you want to see what I used, you can read about it all here:

The "Handy" Tune-Up

On coils, you have to be careful. There's a very knowledgeable but opinionated member here that likes to argue about coils. Other than that, he usually knows what he's talking about and he's often very helpful. But for my money, your original Mopar coil will likely last for the life of the car and will not need changing unless you experience coil-related symptoms. If you want a good "sporty" alternative, the MSD is not a bad choice.

Your not due a timing belt yet until about 100,000 miles. So you can put that one on the slow burner. For the rest, this forum is full of great ideas for your PT.

Here's a list of just about everything I have done to my PT as of about a month ago. But my PT was likely in worse shape than yours:

What all should be done?

And again, welcome.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Mar 2014 at 06:19 pm.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 06:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
There's a very knowledgeable but opinionated member here that likes to argue about coils. Other than that, he usually knows what he's talking about and he's often very helpful.
Hmm... I wonder who that would be!

Old 28 Mar 2014, 06:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Tommy... Factory Champion Copper Plus 470 RE14MCC5 works good for me... Never had a problem.

Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
Tommy... Factory Champion Copper Plus 470 RE14MCC5 works good for me... Never had a problem.
what gap ya'll using,and thanks for the help fellas

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tommy,

The gap recommended by Chrysler is .040in for the non-turbo.

I'm using the Champion Double Platinum plugs #7440 which have been upgraded to #7570 but either will work well and last a long time.

The stock coil is a very good one with hardly any problems reported. I'd leave it alone if your not having problems.

The plugs wires are a matter of choice. Almost anything is better than the stock wires that came from the factory.

Be sure to use Dielectric grease on the wire ends and anti-seize on the plug threads.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 10:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Tommy,

The gap recommended by Chrysler is .040in for the non-turbo.

I'm using the Champion Double Platinum plugs #7440 which have been upgraded to #7570 but either will work well and last a long time.

The stock coil is a very good one with hardly any problems reported. I'd leave it alone if your not having problems.

The plugs wires are a matter of choice. Almost anything is better than the stock wires that came from the factory.

Be sure to use Dielectric grease on the wire ends and anti-seize on the plug threads.
yup that's added to my list now trying to figure which pcv valve, and i have the turbo version is that gap the same? i ordered the iridium plugs,30 for 4 #1 cold version as i'm putting in chip and intake,and tuning her up msd coil/wires 8.5mm and those plugs for starters, have drilled rotors coming with brakes.as well as other goodies,picked car up today..lol

also for the gt version is the pcv valve straight w/threads or a twist on 90 degree style?? thanks alot sorry if i asked again i worked 15 hr day in a nice attic so i might be loosing it

Semper Fidelis!!!

Last edited by TommyBlazin; 29 Mar 2014 at 12:31 am.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 12:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, those Platinum plugs that I have, supposedly are no good for the turbo models. The guys with the turbo's are running a smaller .032-.034in gap.

From what I heard, the turbo PCV valve is different on the turbo also, so be careful when picking yours up. Take a look at yours so you'll know which one to get.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 02:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yea, those Platinum plugs that I have, supposedly are no good for the turbo models. The guys with the turbo's are running a smaller .032-.034in gap.

From what I heard, the turbo PCV valve is different on the turbo also, so be careful when picking yours up. Take a look at yours so you'll know which one to get.
good heads up i do believe there the 90degree, but when i do my tear down ill see, anyone using those 1' spacers with success??? since ill be doing rotors and brakes all the way round would be a good time to install the, help those stock chrome rims pop with the flare of the body, with added stability perhaps??anyone have thought or experience? thanks, do you think the iridium will be a problem w/turbo?

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 29 Mar 2014, 08:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Just a thought, I see your from NJ, How has winter been? You can see how rough the past winter been by trying to take down your spare tire. If your lucky the bolt that lets the tire rack down will not be totally frozen and snap off.. If you do get it to move take it all the way off and grease the threads and save yourself from that one time missery "when you need that spare tire the most" and cannot remove it.
Welcome to the forum.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh