Headgasket / Overheating

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2014, 07:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headgasket / Overheating

My '01 PT (N/A 207K miles) developed a cracked in the radiator. i noticed the crack when the PT overheated on way into work. I added some water to get me home, but on the way I had to pull over and add more. About 1/2 way the heat stopped working and before I could find a safe place to pull over the engine died.

When i got home i filled the radiator with water to look for more leaks, I pulled the plugs and turned over the engine and got a water fountain display you would expect to see at a Las Vegas Hotel. Also, courtesy of a loose exhaust pipe, water pouring from the exhaust manifold connection. But, no water in the intake. I started stripping down the engine thinking it was the head gasket.

So, I have the head off and I don't see anything obvious and not sure what to look for. Would a head gasket failure explain the massive amount of water flow? Do I get a new gasket and put it all back together and hope for the best? Take head to machine shop or just give up and buy a new car? PS: First head gasket attempt, have mercy on me. I assumed car is scrap so wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Headgasket / Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCommuter View Post
My '01 PT (N/A 207K miles) developed a cracked in the radiator. i noticed the crack when the PT overheated on way into work. I added some water to get me home, but on the way I had to pull over and add more. About 1/2 way the heat stopped working and before I could find a safe place to pull over the engine died.

When i got home i filled the radiator with water to look for more leaks, I pulled the plugs and turned over the engine and got a water fountain display you would expect to see at a Las Vegas Hotel. Also, courtesy of a loose exhaust pipe, water pouring from the exhaust manifold connection. But, no water in the intake. I started stripping down the engine thinking it was the head gasket.

So, I have the head off and I don't see anything obvious and not sure what to look for. Would a head gasket failure explain the massive amount of water flow? Do I get a new gasket and put it all back together and hope for the best? Take head to machine shop or just give up and buy a new car? PS: First head gasket attempt, have mercy on me. I assumed car is scrap so wouldn't hurt to try.
You need to check for warped head as well as cam rock. Lay the rear cam in the head and push down on the ends to see if it will rock from end to end. If it doesn't check the valve side of the head for straight.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You likely will not know until you take the head to a machine shop to be checked out and rebuilt. I recently did a Mazda 6 head that was almost as bad as you describe and it cleaned up perfectly.

Normally, a machine shop will check the head first. And if it is bad, they will just charge for checking it out. And that's usually not too much. Take the valve seals from the new head gasket set with you to the machine shop. That will likely save you the cost of the shop having to go find and buy them.

Also, you will need to flush both the intake and exhaust manifold to get the antifreeze out of them. Burnt antifreeze can also stop up a catylitic converter. Check the deck on the block to assure there is no etching or pitting. And clean any antifreeze out of the cylinders out NOW to help avoid rust pitting. Coat the cylinders and engine deck with oil. It can be removed later before you install the new head gasket. I would also drain the oil pan.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Mar 2014 at 02:47 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2014, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any idea what to expect to pay for inspection of head and possible machining? Never done this level of work before and trying understand my options. At this point I think it's the junk yard will be my next call.
Old 07 Apr 2014, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well in issoure to ahve a head hot dipped to check for crtacks its $45 to ahve it resurfaced it $75 adn to ahve the whole head done --Valvues guides and a new gasket it $225--keep in mind thats as long as the head is not cracked and usally on the PT I dont hear of a lot of cracked heads then like said make sure the cylenders are clear of anti freez get a new timing belt water pump and tensioners and i guess a new radiator
put it all back togther and drive it another 100,000 miles for under $500-$600 ( unless you are a beer drinker then I ahve heard it may be a bit higher)
Old 07 Apr 2014, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PS I wouldnt junk it unless there are a lot of other issues if you got everything off going back togther isnt all that hard ok tis a PAIN but it can be done
Old 07 Apr 2014, 10:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCommuter View Post
Any idea what to expect to pay for inspection of head and possible machining? Never done this level of work before and trying understand my options. At this point I think it's the junk yard will be my next call.
Do as Busted Suggests, if cam 'rocks', stop and look for another head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You need to check for warped head as well as cam rock. Lay the rear cam in the head and push down on the ends to see if it will rock from end to end. If it doesn't check the valve side of the head for straight.
I have an '01 head on eBay IF it's bad.