Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
it just shut off while driving....

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2014, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default it just shut off while driving....

2002 pt cruiser, just bought it private sale. 115 k miles, ran great. Engine and oil light came on and it just shut off. Didn't run hot, no nothing out of th ordinary. Tried to start and only a breathy attempt to crank. No idea what's wrong. Please help!! Need to fix it asap so I can get to work tomorrow!! Thanks!
Old 02 Apr 2014, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: it just shut off while driving....

Since you can't drive it to a place with a code reader and got an engine light, pull up error codes and post them here.
How to retrieve fault codes.

I'm not sure what "Tried to start and only a breathy attempt to crank" means.
Say it in other words...
Car cranks, but doesn't start?
Does it crank same speed as usual or faster or slower?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Apr 2014, 04:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Greetings

You just bought this PT.
Do you know if the timing belt was changed?
If not, the original belt likely broke and you won't get this fixed quick and cheap.
Old 02 Apr 2014, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

P0340 error code. Again, tries to start, but won't fully turn over. Breathy attempt to turn over. Any suggestions?
Old 02 Apr 2014, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And it's cranking slower than normal...
Old 02 Apr 2014, 10:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Get a Mopar camshaft sensor and replace it - P0340.
And what does "Breathy attempt to turn over" mean? What is "breathy"?????

Slower than normal probably because you've worn battery down - if it were faster, I'd suspect timing belt (still could be).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 05:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Pull the camshaft sensor and see if the cams are turning when you crank it. I would bet that you broke the timing belt. A broken belt will set the code you are getting.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Pull the camshaft sensor and see if the cams are turning when you crank it. I would bet that you broke the timing belt. A broken belt will set the code you are getting.
Agree.
Even better - buy a new mopar cam sensor - pull out old one, have someone crank the engine and watch - if cams turn, put in new sensor, if cams don't turn, reach for checkbook.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Old 03 Apr 2014, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced the sensor, checked the wiring, still won't start.... I get the gut feeling that it's the belt... FML
Old 05 Apr 2014, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Took it to a mechanic, quoting me like 1200, for the timing belt and now they're saying that 90% of the time there is valve dmage to the engine and if that's the case, then we need a new motor, and its not worth replacing. I JUST bought this car private sale one month ago. 115k miles on it... wtf