Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need help starting my pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2014, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default need help starting my pt cruiser

I have an 01 PT Cruiser. Was getting low on fuel so stopped to put fuel in. Made it down the road about 1/2 mile and it died. Would not start. Got it into my shop. Did a fuel pressure check and it was low according to the specs in the manual. Changed the fuel pump. Still will not start. Checked fuel pressure at the rail and it is good. Checked the crankshaft positioning sensor and the wires looked bad. Changed this sensor and a new 3 wire plug into the sensor. It fired over and I thought I had the problem fixed. Put tools away and then it would not start again. Changed the coil. No Start. Changed the cam shaft positioning sensor. Still no start. Talked with an online company that sells re-furbished pcm made specifically for my vin. Bought this and changed it out. Still no start. Originally had changed the timing belt because it had 101,000 miles. It started right up after this and it ran great for a week. That is when this whole problem started. So to recap I have changed the fuel pump, crankshaft positioning sensor, camshaft positioning sensor, coil, plug for crankshaft positioning sensor, and the timing belt. did a pretty good check on all wiring and plugs. Any ideas??? Also, is there a way to check for spark at the end of the spark plug wires? I used a test light and no light. did get test light to light up on the middle terminal of the coil plug from the wiring harness.

Last edited by joemorehead; 02 Apr 2014 at 07:30 pm.
Old 02 Apr 2014, 11:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: need help starting my pt cruiser

seeing as it's a 2001, I and at least one other with that year (that I know of) have had an issue with the wiring that goes to the crank pos sensor. you say you checked the wiring but go back and check the wiring to make sure it didn't drop down and get abrased on the drive shaft. I had to look closely.

after fixing the chafed wires she fired right up. that was over a year ago and no problems since.