Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake pedal issues!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2014, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake pedal issues!!!

Hiya all!my brake pedal on my 2004 pt is causing me a headache!the brakes work fine but the brake pedal itself can be pressed all the way to the floor!!the brakes work fully when pedal is about half way down but can still press the brake pedal further?hope this makes sense it's hard to explain!!!its a 2.2 crd which I know isn't available in the states but just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this?my husband thinks it could be the master brake cylinder?
Had a lot of problems with my pt but fingers crossed after this fix we should be good for a years happy motoring!!!
Thanks xx
Old 03 Apr 2014, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Brake pedal issues!!!

There's several common conditions that cause this.

* Air in the brake lines. This often occurs after work on the brakes has been performed and is extremely common. The usual fix is to bleed the brakes.

* Back drum brake need adjustment. Sometimes the slack adjusters on rear drum brake don't tighten as they should. The front disc brakes will grab but then it takes more pedal to build pressure on the rear brakes. This varies on different cars depending on how the proportioning valve handles it. I'm not sure about the PT. Adjustment can often be done with a flat screwdriver if the adjusting holes are punched out on the rear brakes.

* Leaking brakes. Often seals go bad in the front calipers or back wheel cylinders. Rubber front brake lines can crack and leak too. This can often be detected by observing brake fluid behind the wheels.

* Master cylinder going bad. If no other problem can be found, this is often the issue. And it usually gets worse with time. It's also a common problem.

There's an "art" to bleeding brake lines, adjusting drum brakes and detecting a slightly bad master cylinder. If you haven't done this type of work before , this is one of the few times I recommend going to a good trusted mechanic. Brakes are nothing to play with. Your life could depend on it. It's money worth spending.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Apr 2014 at 11:00 am.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Brake pedal issues!!!

Thanks for that!ill get my hubby to check what he can and fingers crossed we don't hav to take it to the garage!the PTs aren't too popular with the mechanics near me!!!!