Advertisements
leaking waterpump

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2014, 02:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default leaking waterpump

drip drip drip drip drip. i can watch it. im "pretty mad". i changed the water pump with a pump from the dealer when i did the timing belt. that was only 42,000 miles ago.

im going to drive it home and let it sit until november.
any thing i should do before i park the car for the summer?
i mean other than disconnecting the battery.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: leaking waterpump

Not sure if this would apply to a PT like it did to an old Chevy that I put in mothballs for months. But if you're going to store it outdoors, cover it underneath to prevent rats or other small animals from making a home out of your engine compartment. That's what happened to me, and they gnawed all the wiring up to feather their nest. It was on dry pavement, not far from the house. Better than having rats nest in the attic ... but not much.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

id put something in the gas tank stabil or sea foam or something maybe fill it all the way up 2 cans of sea foam and hope for the best
jack it up to get the tires off the ground
put plastic under it to keep it from drawing moister a good car cover so you can leave the windows cracked
I dont know what else to do why November???
Old 03 Apr 2014, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A genuine Mopar! That's exactly what I feared with the other brands. I would be pissed too.
Stabil yes but I think Berryman Chemtool B-12 is a better product than Seafoam. It has tolean, I know I'm misspelling that. That's used to clean fuel systems. Seafoam does not. Battery tender for your battery might help. The PT just got jealous of your other ride and is acting out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Apr 2014, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IMO because of the current oxygenated fuels used in the US anything with Toluene would be a better fuel stabilizer because if the fuel does go bad the Toluene because of its octane rating will still fire the engine enough to clear out the fuel system. I think I would also store any vehicle manufactured EFI engine from 1995 with as little fuel in the tank as possible. Empty would be my choice. The fuel system is sealed so without air supply it is unlikely condensation will form in the fuel tank because of the residual fuel vapors.

The coolant leak will dry up and form a crust around that area. It will still be a leak when you return service to vehicle. There has never been any better guarantee of reliability using genuine MOPAR parts over aftermarket parts.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Apr 2014 at 03:34 pm.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 04:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Whos to say it was a 'new' Mopar pump? they sell reman stuff just the same as anyone else- and it may be the counterman doesn't care, is honest, or doesn't know.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 04:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

thanks guys. all good points to consider. glad to hear nitro say it'd be good to store it empty. it's got a quarter tank right now and it'll be closer to an eighth when i get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
why November???
i bought a fun car for the summer. i don't ever want it to ever see salty streets and i doubt it'd even move in the snow.
i have a lot of fun abusing the PT in ways that i probably shouldn't, and it's beyond the point of trying to make much nicer than it is now. if i hold on to it and fix it just before winter, i think it'll be a good winter car. i like the car and i like this forum, so i'll fix it right before winter and we'll see how far over 266k miles it can really go.
Busted_PT and boonie2 like this.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 08:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

so when i bought this car, it had 212,000 miles on it, and the heater core had a slight smell to it. i never bothered to fix it. i didn't want to deal with it. today on the ride home, my final voyage before storing it until november when i plan to fix it.... i heard the sound of water, like what you would hear letting a faucet drip into a half full coffee cup in the sink. then the windows fogged up in a way i have never seen before. i went to crank the defroster, but it was already on defrost. while looking at the defrost knob, i saw coolant dripping onto the floor. thinking "oh @#%", i rolled the windows down and switch it from defrost to vent. as i did this, i felt my right foot getting wet and my pedals getting slippery. with the windows down, i peered out the center of my windshield, as i was on the expressway and that was the only part of the window not fogged up. then i noticed i couldn't see behind me. was i leaving a smokescreen? i freaked out a little. no. it's not a smokescreen. when i rolled the windows down the side mirrors fogged up from all the humidity escaping the cockpit. sheesh. i kept a keen eye on the temperature gauge and it was normal. the temperature of the heat varied from warm to hot, to warm, to hot... for like, 15 miles until i reached my final destination. i made it home. it never got over 1/2 way up on the temp gauge. my foot was covered in coolant, and i guess i need a water pump...and a heater core. i guess when it rains, it pours. LOL

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (83.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 03 Apr 2014, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
so when i bought this car, it had 212,000 miles on it, and the heater core had a slight smell to it. i never bothered to fix it. i didn't want to deal with it. today on the ride home, my final voyage before storing it until november when i plan to fix it.... i heard the sound of water, like what you would hear letting a faucet drip into a half full coffee cup in the sink. then the windows fogged up in a way i have never seen before. i went to crank the defroster, but it was already on defrost. while looking at the defrost knob, i saw coolant dripping onto the floor. thinking "oh @#%", i rolled the windows down and switch it from defrost to vent. as i did this, i felt my right foot getting wet and my pedals getting slippery. with the windows down, i peered out the center of my windshield, as i was on the expressway and that was the only part of the window not fogged up. then i noticed i couldn't see behind me. was i leaving a smokescreen? i freaked out a little. no. it's not a smokescreen. when i rolled the windows down the side mirrors fogged up from all the humidity escaping the cockpit. sheesh. i kept a keen eye on the temperature gauge and it was normal. the temperature of the heat varied from warm to hot, to warm, to hot... for like, 15 miles until i reached my final destination. i made it home. it never got over 1/2 way up on the temp gauge. my foot was covered in coolant, and i guess i need a water pump...and a heater core. i guess when it rains, it pours. LOL

The old girl pitches a fit when you bring home a new girl. Sorry about your troubles. This truly does work without gumming up anything.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com