Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem w/2007 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2014, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem w/2007 PT Cruiser

When driving this happens sometimes but not always - First I hear a "chime" and then the car starts sputtering and shaking and feels like I am loosing power (but don't) and then the car slows down. Replaced the throttle sensor as the symptoms related to a bad sensor but this did not fix the problem. I have had it to my mechanic twice but when he drives it he hasn't experienced the problem. He suggested I take it to a place that fixes electrical problems. Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 03 Apr 2014, 03:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Problem w/2007 PT Cruiser

Is the check engine light on? Have you done the key dance to retrieve the codes? If the key dance shows no codes but the check engine light is on take it somewhere to have the codes read. My guess would be a camshaft position sensor but without codes it is all a guess.
Old 03 Apr 2014, 07:05 pm
Banned

Just replaced the cam sensor on the wife's pt, same issues as you are having
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How much was the cam shaft sensor? My check engine light does come on when the car malfunctions but when it's turned off and after it sits for a while, and turned back on the check engine light goes out. I looked up the symptoms for a malfunctioning cam shaft sensor and it says that the most often encountered problem was the car not starting; but my car always starts. The problem occurs when driving. I guess I will have to wait until the check engine light comes on and take it to Auto Zone which is only three miles from where I live.
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:44 pm
Banned

I bought an OEM one so it was about 80 bucks

It happened while the car was being driven not started.

There is a youtube video that shows how to change the sensor out, its next to the battery so its real easy to change
Old 04 Apr 2014, 02:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Three years ago I paid the local Chrysler parts department $55 for a Mopar camshaft position sensor. I suspect one can be purchased for less, but do buy Mopar only.

Your symptoms are consistent with a bad CPS as Busa_Powered said.
I experienced similar. But when I installed a new non-Mopar CPS, my car ran three miles and broke down to limp-home mode.
Buy Mopar. Replacing the sensor is a simple 20-minutes and two Torx bolts.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Went to Auto Zone and they ran a diagnostic and it came up w/the code for a bad camshaft position sensor - bought one and had it put on today. Haven't tried to drive the car yet but will tomorrow. I just saw the thread about buying Mopar parts - so hope the one I bought works. Thanks for the help. Also threw a C3100 code which was low voltage - do I need a new battery or just charge the one I have which is about 3 years old?
Old 08 Apr 2014, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Where did you get the C3100 code from? It's a chassis code, I believe. Who told you low voltage? Is battery symbol on dash lit?

Many folks have reported that non-Mopar sensors worked for a while, you might be lucky.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Apr 2014, 01:21 am
Regular Cruiser

I know the dealership fixes electrical problems. What shop does your mechanic work at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGrits View Post
When driving this happens sometimes but not always - First I hear a "chime" and then the car starts sputtering and shaking and feels like I am loosing power (but don't) and then the car slows down. Replaced the throttle sensor as the symptoms related to a bad sensor but this did not fix the problem. I have had it to my mechanic twice but when he drives it he hasn't experienced the problem. He suggested I take it to a place that fixes electrical problems. Any opinions or suggestions?